Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Is The Best Running Back Of All-Time?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Is The Best Running Back Of All-Time?

Who do you guys think is the best running back of all time? Vote and post why.

My Vote: Barry Sanders. Sanders was the man with a pathetic team. The numbers he put up with that team is nothing short of awesome.
    a:9:{i:14;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:14;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"32288";s:5:"title";s:13:"Barry Sanders";s:5:"votes";i:16;s:6:"voters";a:16:{i:0;s:3:"610";i:1;s:2:"68";i:2;s:3:"223";i:3;s:3:"232";i:4;s:3:"351";i:5;s:4:"1474";i:6;s:3:"451";i:7;s:3:"490";i:8;s:3:"521";i:9;s:3:"820";i:10;s:3:"943";i:11;s:4:"1152";i:12;s:4:"1578";i:13;s:4:"2381";i:14;s:2:"76";i:15;s:4:"2860";}}i:15;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:15;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"32288";s:5:"title";s:12:"Emmitt Smith";s:5:"votes";i:2;s:6:"voters";a:2:{i:0;s:3:"264";i:1;s:3:"406";}}i:16;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:16;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"32288";s:5:"title";s:13:"Walter Payton";s:5:"votes";i:5;s:6:"voters";a:5:{i:0;s:1:"1";i:1;s:3:"179";i:2;s:2:"14";i:3;s:4:"1668";i:4;s:4:"1194";}}i:17;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:17;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"32288";s:5:"title";s:9:"Jim Brown";s:5:"votes";i:4;s:6:"voters";a:4:{i:0;s:1:"4";i:1;s:2:"12";i:2;s:2:"94";i:3;s:3:"861";}}i:18;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:18;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"32288";s:5:"title";s:14:"Eric Dickerson";s:5:"votes";i:1;s:6:"voters";a:1:{i:0;s:3:"505";}}i:19;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:19;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"32288";s:5:"title";s:10:"Bo Jackson";s:5:"votes";i:3;s:6:"voters";a:3:{i:0;s:4:"1076";i:1;s:1:"6";i:2;s:3:"697";}}i:20;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:20;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"32288";s:5:"title";s:10:"OJ Simpson";s:5:"votes";i:2;s:6:"voters";a:2:{i:0;s:3:"235";i:1;s:3:"386";}}i:21;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:21;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"32288";s:5:"title";s:11:"Gale Sayers";s:5:"votes";i:2;s:6:"voters";a:2:{i:0;s:1:"3";i:1;s:3:"516";}}i:22;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:22;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"32288";s:5:"title";s:13:"Earl Campbell";s:5:"votes";i:2;s:6:"voters";a:2:{i:0;s:3:"256";i:1;s:4:"1559";}}}
    100.00%

I'm not going to talk about all the backs in the poll. Just the ones that people talk about the most.

Sanders Vs. Smith

I have gotten into countless debates about this. Emmitt Smith was good, but he would have gotten no where if he played in Detroit...Ok he would have been good but he wouldn't be getting all the props he's getting from a lot of people. The line he had was awesome. Barry Sanders was great, he would have put up huge numbers on that Cowboy Team. Sanders was fast, and was probably the quickest back there was.

Bottom Line: Barry is better than Emmitt

Was Jim Brown the best?

People say Jim Brown is the best. But he was a giant among men back then. He was a north and south runner that just over powered everyone. He could not do that today. He wouldn't be able to manhandle people like he did back then and he was not quick enough to get by the players of today. Brown's last year in the NFL, he averaged 5.3 yards per carry. His replacement the following year, Leroy Kelly averaged 5.5 yards per carry, and led the NFL in Rushing 2 out of the next 3 years, and was 2nd in the NFL the one year he didn't lead the league. Perhaps Jim Brown ran behind a very good Offensive line? Not to take anything away from him, I do believe that he was "one" of the best ever, but just not "THE" best ever. The fact that his replacement stepped right in, and the Browns rushing game didn't miss a beat, is evidence that there wasn't a lot of difference between Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly, and you never hear anyone talking about whether or not Leroy Kelly was one of the best ever.

Bottom Line: Brown was good but he wasn't the best.

How good was Bo Jackson?

Bo Jackson pretty much could do it all. He was fast and quick. Plus he could over power you. Just ask Brian Bosworth. Jackson could pretty much kill you anyway he wanted to. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he would have been the best easily. It was almost scary how good this guy was. Tim Brown said Jackson was the fastest man in pads. For a guy his size to be as fast and strong as he was is pretty impressive. And another thing, Bo Jackson was the greatest athlete of the 20th century!!!

Bottom Line: Bo Jackson would have been the best but he got hurt.

Walter Payton

Walter Payton wasn't big, he wasn't real fast. He just worked his ass off year in and year out. He put up the numbers year in and year out as well. Very, very talented, a great blocker and receiver as well. He did play on some good Bear teams but he also played on some shitty ones and put up some nice numbers I believe.

Payton Vs Sanders

It pretty much comes down to Payton and Sanders in my opinion. You really can't go wrong either way. I would pick Payton because he could do more than Sanders. Payton could run well, catch well, and block well. He was all heart baby. He was very well rounded for several seasons. Sanders was quicker and faster, but Payton just found ways to beat you some how to make up for it. It is really close but I just think Payton could do more than Sanders.

Bottom Line: My Pick is Sweetness... Walter Payton. Payton was the best, most complete back ever to play the game. He did more with less than any running back in NFL history.

Comment

Jim Brown!!!!!!

McBain you mention that Brown would not be as good in todays game but you have to wonder what Jim Brown would look like in today's game with the same upgrades in physical training. It's not like all the guys back then were just doing push ups and eating meat and Jim Brown was in the weight room training like a bodybuilder and eating six meals a day. So it isn't fair to say that Jim Brown would be normal compared to today's players, because he would also be larger than he was back then the same way defensive players are larger today than they were back then. I think the ratio would remain about the same and we'd still see the same player.

And for Barry Sanders maybe...just maybe...if Barry would've hit the holes instead of dancing around behind the line of scrimmage looking for the 80 yard run every time he touched the ball, he wouldn't have lost so many yards. And maybe then his poor linemen would've had a chance to actually look good instead of being called stiffs for trying to block for a guy that wouldn't settle for a 3 yard gain.

Comment

Modern that is a pretty big assumption. But I do think if you take Jim Brown from back then and put him in the game today that he wouldn't be the man he was.

If you put Barry Sanders in Jim Brown's spot back then, I would think Sanders would be averaging close to 7 yards a carry at least.

Comment

Jim Brown has to be the greatest. He played when there was more talent on every team The other backs are great in there own right but they are now playing in a watered down league. And most importantly, Jim Brown never came out of the game for a breather. He established all his records in only nine years. Beat that if you can. A better back than Jim Brown has yet to come along.

Comment

i say payton only because I wasnt on the list

Comment

Bo

Originally posted by AndySMC
              Modern that is a pretty big assumption. But I do think if you take Jim Brown from back then and put him in the game today that he wouldn't be the man he was.

If you put Barry Sanders in Jim Brown's spot back then, I would think Sanders would be averaging close to 7 yards a carry at least.
              Yeah and Bo Jackson would probably have like 12 yards a carry.

Comment

jim brown.

don't be a dick and argue this because you are foolish if you do.

blow jackson? lmfao.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny trance
                  jim brown.

don't be a dick and argue this because you are foolish if you do.

blow jackson? lmfao.
                  Isn't your favorite player Brian Bosworth? Is that why you hate on Bo Jackson? lol

Jim Brown was a great back man. But Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, and Bo Jackson were better than him. Brown couldn't do the same kind of things in todays game. Plus he had a really good offensive line to help him out.

Comment

coulda

woulda, shoulda...lots of things could've happened. I'll give you that Bo is one of the best athletes of his era. Even w/ his shorted game span he was a stud. But to talk about him in this is a joke. If that is the case Terrell Davis should get some props...well he shouldn't.

Brown despite what you say was fast for his time, and todays athletes are better conditioned. To say that you are able to judge then and now is a joke. Only Barry Sanders has come to do what Jim Brown did against HIS competition. Barry made so many look stupid, to say a guy danced to much and gained 2,000 yards in a season...what? So, if he hit the hole he would get 3,000?

Smith is overrated, he has the record only because Barry couldn't take it anymore and got fed up. IMHO, as a pure runner Barry is the best. Walter could do it all and IMHO the best all around back. Jim Brown however is and was the most dominating back. No one...I mean no one has done to the competiton that this guy did. Bo by the way, the guy that had the most talent of all of them, if only he could've...well it doesn't matter now.

Comment

Why I chose Payton

Originally posted by sirpaul
                      woulda, shoulda...lots of things could've happened. I'll give you that Bo is one of the best athletes of his era. Even w/ his shorted game span he was a stud. But to talk about him in this is a joke. If that is the case Terrell Davis should get some props...well he shouldn't.

Brown despite what you say was fast for his time, and todays athletes are better conditioned. To say that you are able to judge then and now is a joke. Only Barry Sanders has come to do what Jim Brown did against HIS competition. Barry made so many look stupid, to say a guy danced to much and gained 2,000 yards in a season...what? So, if he hit the hole he would get 3,000?

Smith is overrated, he has the record only because Barry couldn't take it anymore and got fed up. IMHO, as a pure runner Barry is the best. Walter could do it all and IMHO the best all around back. Jim Brown however is and was the most dominating back. No one...I mean no one has done to the competiton that this guy did. Bo by the way, the guy that had the most talent of all of them, if only he could've...well it doesn't matter now.
                      Yeah I see your point. I almost agree with everything you had to say. Barry was probably the best pure running back ever. Bo would have been, but he got hurt. The reason why I bring him up is because the man was the shit. Terrell Davis couldn't hold a candle to him.

Jim Brown IMO would not of put up the same numbers if he was playing in todays game. Brown had a nice line to help him out plus he was bigger than anyone else out there at that time. It is easy to dominate when your bigger than anyone else out there. If you put a lot of backs in Brown's place they would have done just the same at the very least.

The reason why I picked Walter Payton was because he was the best all around back, he could do more than Sanders. And IMO that is more important. But hey Sanders or Payton either one would be a great pick.

Comment

A seemingly even-minded approach to the subject has gone far, far astray.

Who's the Best.....means many things and means different things to different people....of course.

Go ask the fans/coaches/players....If it was third and short who would you want to give the ball to if you could have anyone. Who do you think would get the first down? Upon whom would you hang the fate of your team when EVERYONE KNOWS you are going to run the ball.

Lots of backs look great on 1st and ten when the other team is playing pass and the tailback rambles for 20-25 yards. But when the game is on the line....when its the money play of the game....
                        I think a majority of fans/coaches and players too know that in that situation there was ONLY Jim Brown.

The argument that most wins/Super Bowls/NFL Championships carries weight does NOT lead to concluding that Emmit Smith is the best....how about Franco Harris and Rocky Bleir winning 4 SuperBowls? How many has Emmit won? OJ never played in the SuperBowl, but that does not make him less of a great running back, does it?

Gimme Jim Brown for fullback and OJ for tailback.....yeh, we ARE going to run the ball a lot.....come and get us.

Comment

When it comes down to just running, its a push between Payton and Brown. They were both great runners.

But Brown could not block like Payton, he could not catch and run after the catch like Payton, and he was not the team leader and worker that Payton was.

Comment

I like to see Jim Brown try to run on the same Detroit offensive Line Barry had to run with. Brown would be shut down!!!

Barry Sanders is still the man. I hope he comes back.

Comment

Emmitt Smith!!!! How bout them Cowboys!!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X