The Nextel i930

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nextel i930

This looks like a sweet as phone. I wish it had bluetooth and a better camera though. Don't know when it is going to drop, but I'll be first in line.

Specs
    i930
    - GSM capable
    - MS SmartPhone
    - identical displays as i860
    - SD memory slot
    - VGA camera (same as i860)
    - Video capture/playback, MMS (same as i860)
    - Irda port

the i930 is a HTC based phone running tweaked windows CE code.
    Its running a 700mhz ARM based TI OMAP processor, and has 2 different boards, the iDEN-Modem Board, and the AP Board (Application Processor).

The iDEN-Modem controls the communication and the AP houses the radios, and the actual processor/memory, which is used for Windows.

There are alot of myths, however WiDEN is enabled on the i930 with release firmware. SDIO seems like its capable of being enabled, and the phone uses a similar camera to the i860.

You can take video's to the storage limit of your SD card, or you can also store it to the phone. The phone has 27 MB storage, with 5/12 - 6 MB taking up the windows CE code.

It has 24 Megs of available memory, with another 8 allocated to its display, and background processes. With the phone running from a cold boot you get about 10 MB free RAM.

The iDEN-Modem board takes standard motorola code (flashstrap/codeplug/csd/subscriber unit) however the AP gets a whole different set of code, and also holds the initial branding for the phone.

The AP has 2 bootloaders, Holds the GSM and IDEN Radio Code, and also gets branding, and an initial Windows image. When it boots up, it tends to take about a minute to 75 seconds to stabilize on the network and go to idle screen.

The battery life is comparable to my i860, and I havent had any complaints about it. There are alot of betas floating around but anything before build p6 is really trash. You can tell what build you have by booting into flash strap mode and looking for your alexander, ipl and spl revisions.

On boot the AP initializes then calls the iDEN-Modem, for sim information and to register on the network. Once thats done the 2 boards sync thru their built in flex connector ands the iDEN-Modem sends AT structured modem commands to the AP , to do anything that calls the network (Registration, Handoffs, Data, Dispatch, or phone calls... interconnect).

The phone has an infrared port that recieves standard beam information.

The status light is pretty cool, its attached to the board and it shines thru a transparent surrounding piece for the PTF button.

The SD slot is built onboard the iDEN-Modem, unlike i870 where the TF slot is connected by a flex to the board.

The phone runs without any bugs now, and its fairly fast, however it uses a seperate client exe that runs over RSS, standard RSS builds wont be able to read it as far as I understand.

There are alot of very cool parts of the phone, my personal favorite is the volume the external speakers can get to without distortion, and I just love it. I use it as a boombox when im at a bar with friends.

Before build P5 , the keypad layout was very different, more like a blackberry 7100 charm , than the i930 keypad you are used to. It didnt make the final cut, it was too complicated to use with the windows software.

The phone recieves incredable RF performance, and the screen is nice and clear, very bright.

PTV didnt make it into the i930, however the cameras flash is just like the i860, which i missed in the i850.

There is no DirectTalk, and the phone is lacking in the size department, it stands up to my i95 at about the same size.

The phone uses SimmManager software to pull your contacts from your sim to the phone, or move contacts from i930 to the sim, however contacts are stored in the phones internal memory. Limitless contacts :-)

There is no SDGC in the handset, but the ringers are superb, and even the nextel standard midi ringers are something to brag about. I loved meringue even more thru the i930.

The windows code in the phone is extremely customized, partially because of the service structure of iDEN, there were really no existing api's to define the dispatch/interconnect services, as we all know iDEN is nothing like GSM, where there were already many existing API's to support services.

i930 will take your existing 64/128K sim, and does not require any kind of special sim, as has been reported in the past.

The external display is capable of displaying a wallpaper, as well as the inside. I found that the best settings for it was to turn off the GSM radio in the settings/network portion of the phone. It recovered from signal loss much faster and performed much better.

The wait was very worth it in my opinion....

The Money shots...

Size comparo
    [SCROLL]

New SIM Manager. Contacts, pic ID’s, and Voice Tags can presumable now be saved to SD…

Large, easy to read external display that can have custom wall papers…

Video recorder…

SD Slot, combination PTF & Status light (ring around PTF)…

Fat Boy!

[/SCROLL]

Images are also here:

http://www.pbase.com/greggebhardt/i930_images&page=all

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X