Sylvia Robinson Co-Founder of Sugar Hill Records Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sylvia Robinson Co-Founder of Sugar Hill Records Dies

Award winning singer, songwriter and Sugar Hill Records founder Sylvia Robinson, passed away today (September 29th), at the New Jersey Institute of Neuroscience of congestive heart failure.

Robinson, born Sylvia Vanterpool, was known for her hit song “Pillow Talk.”

She launched her career in 1950 and hit big several years later as part of the R&B singing duo Mickey & Sylvia, who hit big with the song "Love is Strange," which was a hit in early 1957..

Later as a business woman, Mrs. Robinson and her deceased husband Joe Robinson founded several labels, including All Platinum and Vibration, which introduced groups like The Moments and The Whatnauts to the world.

The Robinson's were also the founders of the hip-hop based label Sugar Hill Records label.

As the creators of Sugar Hill Records, the Robinson’s introduced Hip-Hop to the world with the release of “Rapper’s Delight” by the Sugar Hill Gang, in 1979.

Joey Robinson, her oldest son, was also a member of the group.

In addition to the Sugar Hill Gang, the Robinson's label recorded sides on Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5, Funky Four Plus 1, Spoonie Gee, The West Street Mob, The Crash Crew and others.

Jay-Z’s “Empire State of Mind,” P-Diddy’s “Can’t Nobody Hold Me Down,” and Ice Cube’s “Check Yourself” are just a few of the songs that have sampled from Robinson's deep catalog.

Master P, Gloria Estefan, Kid Rock, Kanye West and the late Amy Winehouse have all used samples of Robinson’s music as well.

“Mrs. Robinson will definitely be missed by me and my family. I had the pleasure of growing up musically with the Robinson Family and they have always been supportive of my career,” said Platinum Def Jam Recording Artist, Juelz Santana.

Sylvia Robinson leaves behind three sons - Joey, Leland, and Rhondo - who are all music and publishing executives.

Source: allhiphop.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X