The City Of L.A. Set to Pay The Notorious B.I.G.'s Family $1.1 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The City Of L.A. Set to Pay The Notorious B.I.G.'s Family $1.1 Million

A federal judge's order for the city of Los Angeles to pay $1.1 million to the family of slain rapper Christopher "Notorious B.I.G." Wallace was approved yesterday (March 30) by the Los Angeles City Council.

Voletta Wallace, B.I.G.'s mother, and his widow, Faith Evans, sued the city and others four years ago, alleging wrongful death, and accused convicted corrupt cops Rafael Perez and David Mack of conspiring with Death Row CEO Marion "Suge" Knight to kill B.I.G.

Last July, U.S. District Judge Florence-Marie Cooper declared a mistrial in the family's suit after it was revealed that the LAPD were deliberately concealing evidence in the rapper's killing. She later ordered the LAPD to pay $1.1 million to the family's legal team in costs disbursed during the trial.

City lawyers told the council an appeal was unlikely to overturn the judge's ruling and they approved the payment on Wednesday.

A retrial of the wrongful death case is expected later this year.

Notorious B.I.G. was shot and killed on March 9, 1997, after leaving a Los Angeles party. His murder has yet to be solved.

Earlier this month, the Los Angeles Police Department assigned a new team of detectives to take a second look at the murder.

In related news, the approval of $1.1 million may come as good news to the Wallace family who recently learned that a judge halted all sales of the Notorious B.I.G.'s 1994 debut Ready To Die because of samples that were not cleared.

Source: sohh.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X