Phil Simms: 'No way' Peyton Manning will let Colts draft Andrew Luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Simms: 'No way' Peyton Manning will let Colts draft Andrew Luck

Phil Simms, on Showtime's Inside the NFL airing Wednesday (9 p.m. ET), says Peyton Manning will decide if the Colts want Stanford's Andrew Luck, that players now "cry about everything" and that other quarterbacks "would have been destroyed" for a performance like Denver's Tim Tebow had Sunday.

On Luck, says Simms, forget what Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay thinks. Simms says "there is no way if Peyton Manning is given a clean bill of health -- I'm going to go on that assumption -- that he is going to let them draft Andrew Luck." Partly, suggests Simms, that's because Manning might then find it hard to keep his job: "In this day and age, even with Peyton Manning, people would be crying, 'We've got to see Andrew Luck.'"

Cris Collinsworth, on the show, disagreed: "I would draft Luck. I just don't think you could take a chance on missing the next franchise quarterback."

And Simms suggests NFL on-field free speech is gone: "You can't say anything on the field anymore. (Players) go running to the press. They tweet it and they cry about everything. ... (When Simms played), you would turn around and yell at the fans. I yelled at fans everywhere. If you do that now you'd get fined by the league, probably suspended, and of course the fan would sue you."

When it comes to Tebow's start for the Broncos Sunday, Simms suggests the ex-Florida star gets cut a lot of slack: "If Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, any of those guys played a game like that, how would it have been taken? You know, even in their rookie years, they would have been destroyed for it."

Source: USA Today

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X