Haynes, Grossman Sign With Bears in Time for Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haynes, Grossman Sign With Bears in Time for Camp

The Chicago Bears signed first-round draft picks Michael Haynes and Rex Grossman on Friday.

Haynes, a defensive end out of Penn State selected 14th overall, got a six-year contract. Grossman, a quarterback out of Florida selected 22nd, signed a five-year deal worth $7.6 million.

Grossman's contract includes a $5 million bonus, and the fifth year is a team option. There are several escaltors, including ones for playing time, that could boost the total package to $18 million.

Haynes, the Big Ten defensive player of the year last season, and Grossman, a three-year starter for the Gators, missed the first practice of camp Friday morning but were in uniform for the afternoon.

"This is really different. This is actually your job,'' said Haynes, who hopes to make an immediate impact as a pass rusher. He had 25 1/2 career sacks for the Nittany Lions, including 15 last season. "It's just how quickly I can adjust to the speed of the NFL.''

Grossman probably will back up Kordell Stewart and Chris Chandler.

"I'll spend a lot time preparing myself to be the guy. That's for the coaches and the organization. If they feel like I'm the guy, they will play me. It really doesn't matter how I feel,'' he said.

"I don't think anyone on this team has the mind-set they're the backup,'' he said. "I think everybody is trying to get better to be the starter if they are not already... We have good quarterbacks, and I'm trying to be as good as I can be and let them decide when I play.''

Grossman passed for 9,164 yards and 77 touchdowns during his career at Florida. His 61 percent completion rate is second in school history.

The Bears also agreed to four-year deals with third-round pick Lance Briggs, a linebacker, and fifth-round pick Bobby Wade, a wide receiver. Both played at Arizona.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X