Don Mattingly to replace Joe Torre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Mattingly to replace Joe Torre

Joe Torre is stepping down after three years as manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers at season's end, the Dodgers announced Friday, with hitting coach Don Mattingly replacing him.

"The opportunity to manage the Los Angeles Dodgers is truly an honor," Mattingly said in a news release. "There are few organizations in the world with the history, tradition and track record of success as the Dodgers. I'm looking forward to continuing what I came here to accomplish with Joe and that's to win a world championship."

It wasn't immediately clear whether Torre would remain with the organization in another capacity, something he has expressed a desire to do after his retirement.

Mattingly has never managed at any level, but he is slated to in the Arizona Fall League after the season, an assignment that is far different from managing a major league club during the regular season because it is a league that exists primarily for showcasing prospects from a handful of different organizations.

"Over the past three years, I've had the opportunity to work with Don closely and have gotten to know him both personally and professionally and I'm convinced that he's the right person to lead the Dodgers," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said in a statement. "His work ethic is unparalleled, his baseball knowledge is vast and his leadership skills have been established during more than three decades in professional baseball."

Mattingly will become the Dodgers' fourth manager in eight seasons since Frank McCourt bought the team in February 2004, joining Jim Tracy, Grady Little and Torre. He is the team's seventh manager since Tommy Lasorda retired after a 20-year run in 1996.

The Los Angeles Times first reported the pending move.

"Donnie has also learned alongside the best in the business," Colletti said. "Joe Torre has been a great friend, a strong leader and an incredible presence for this organization and I cannot thank him enough for his service to the Dodgers. I respect his decision to step aside and I look forward to the day where I can watch him take his rightful place in Cooperstown among baseball's legends."

Torre, who turned 70 in July, is 251-220 in three seasons with the Dodgers after a 12-year run with the New York Yankees in which he won four World Series titles. The Dodgers made the playoffs in each of Torre's first two seasons but are currently in fourth in the NL West this season.

Torre has managed 29 seasons in the big leagues with the Mets, Cardinals, Braves, Yankees and Dodgers. He is in the final year of his contract with the Dodgers.

Mattingly has been the Dodgers hitting coach since 2008. He served in the same role for the Yankees from 2004-06 and was Torre's bench coach in 2007.

Torre jumped to the Dodgers after the Yankees reportedly wanted him to take a pay cut to return to the Bronx for a 13th season.

It was not immediately clear if Torre would announce his retirement, was just walking away from the Dodgers or would take another role with the organization. The team has been mired in uncertainty as a result of the messy divorce case of Frank McCourt and his wife, former Dodgers executive Jamie McCourt.

Source: AP

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X