Kurt Angle Says ECW "Ruined Wrestling", Talks About The Draft, More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurt Angle Says ECW "Ruined Wrestling", Talks About The Draft, More

The following is an excerpt from an interview-article in the Peoria Journal Star featuring Kurt Angle (the full article is available online at pjstar.com):

The event (Saturday's house show in Peoria) might be one of the last times "Smackdown" fans get to see (Kurt) Angle wrestle for the Thursday night UPN program.

That's because the WWE is shaking up the roster between its two weekly programs - "Smackdown" and "RAW," which airs Monday nights on Spike TV.

In the coming weeks, wrestlers who are featured on "Smackdown" could be moved to "RAW," and vice versa.

"I've wrestled everybody on 'Smackdown' more than once," Angle said. "I love wrestling the Eddie Guerreros and the Rey Mysterios and guys like that. But there are guys on 'RAW' that I haven't wrestled in years or have never wrestled."

He added, "I would like to make a move and have a chance to be the franchise of 'RAW.'"

Angle will be a part of a June 12 pay per view reunion special for Extreme Championship Wrestling, an organization that folded about five years ago (the naming rights to ECW are now owned by WWE). Still, the wrestler has no kind words for the extreme brand of grappling that was popular in the late 1990s.

"They almost ruined the business as a whole," Angle said of ECW. "Fans started to expect everyone and everybody to go through tables and get hung by barbed wire and it just really pulled the business back years and years."

Angle blames extreme wrestling and the expectations that followed with ECW's popularity for forcing about "20 wrestlers" to have neck surgery in recent years.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X