PlayStation 4 Won't be Rushed to Market by Wii U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlayStation 4 Won't be Rushed to Market by Wii U

It's unclear exactly where the Wii U should be placed in terms of it being "next generation." Is it just catching up and/or somewhat exceeding the power of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3? Or is it the beginning of the next generation of systems because, by the time it hits the market, it will have been five to six years since the last batch of consoles hit? No matter what the case is, Sony says it doesn't affect plans it has for its next gen system, the PlayStation 4.

Asked by Forbes about when Sony will start talking about the PS4, Sony's Jack Tretton said, "PlayStation 3 is really just hitting it's stride. And technologically, I don't think it's possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have. What we've seen from the competition is trying to add features that already exist in PlayStation 3. We invested heavily in that, we rolled a very heavy rock up a steep hill, through the launch period. But now I think that all pays off, and we've got a long run way behind it. So, I wouldn't look for any discussion of a next generation PlayStation for quite some time."

The suggestion that the PS3 is at the apex of technology is a questionable one, especially given how we saw last week that the console versions of Battlefield 3 won't match the PC version from a technological standpoint. And, as Wired's Chris Kohler points out, Tretton has been saying that PS3 is 'hitting its stride' for at least three years now.

Back to reflecting upon the Wii U's announcement, Tretton said, "I think there's ground to be carved out for everybody. But I didn't see anything about Nintendo's announcement that said 'Oh, we'd better get working on rolling out a new PlayStation here pretty soon.'

"Our attitude is kind of 'welcome to the party.' If you're looking at being a multimedia entertainment device, if you're looking at high def gaming, that was 2006 for us."

Sony consoles are known for having long tails. (Impressively, Tretton said six million PS2s will be sold this year, more than a decade after it first came out.) Looking at Japanese dates, there were six years between the release of the PS1, PS2, and PS3; PS4 most certainly isn't expected next year, which would be six years after the PS3 launched.

The Wii U looks as if it'll be the only new system launching next year (an exact date hasn't been set, we just know it won't come before April), as both Microsoft and Sony seem to be holding out for as long as they can before moving on to new hardware. There have been some rumors that a 360 successor could be announced in the next year, although a separate report said new Microsoft and Sony consoles aren't expected until 2014, or 2013 at the earliest.

Source: Gamasutra

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X