'White is Coming' -- Sony's New PSP Ad Draws Ire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'White is Coming' -- Sony's New PSP Ad Draws Ire

A new PSP ad has left Sony defending itself over accusations of racism in Holland. The ad for the ceramic white PSP features a photograph of a white woman holding a black woman's jaw. The slogan for the ad reads: "PlayStation Portable White is coming."

The internet has been alive with debate about the controversial ad, which numerous critics claim is racist and must be banned or halted. For their part, Sony affirm that race or skin colour plays no role, and that the controversial image is part of a wider campaign - colour contrasts being the motif. "A variety of different treatments have been created as a campaign to either highlight the whiteness of the new model or contrast the black and the white models. Central to this campaign has been the creation of some stunningly photographed imagery, that has been used on large billboards throughout Holland."

A representative did however tell UK business site GamesIndustry.biz that Sony will not be using the images in the UK. "The marketing campaign for the launch of the White PSP in the Benelux focuses on the contrast between the Black PSP model and the new Ceramic white PSP model," said Sony.

Regardless of Sony's defence however, opposition to the ad remains fierce and shows little sign of abating.

http://www.ferrago.com/story/7958

?!?!?!?!!?!!!

For the love of God. What is the world coming to? They might as well have this as their ad instead....

Sony better get their shit straight, and get rid of these ads!!!

Comment

I'm buying 500 of them, obviously. PSPs, I mean - not black people.

Comment

Originally posted by Short Irish Guy
        I'm buying 500 of them, obviously. PSPs, I mean - not black people.
        Please don't ever reproduce.

The execs who approved this ad should be fired. They were probably laughing while they approved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kellie-Girl
          Please don't ever reproduce.
          Why not? It would only mean that there is one more person who will live a better life and do more with it than you ever will.

Want me to leave a map of Hawaii on your asscheek, you stupid cunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Short Irish Guy
            Why not? It would only mean that there is one more person who will live a better life and do more with it than you ever will.

Want me to leave a map of Hawaii on your asscheek, you stupid cunt?
            Can you ever add to the conversation without calling people names? Grow up please!!!

If Sony is smart they will pull these ads ASAP!

Comment

Originally posted by Summer Rain
              Can you ever add to the conversation without calling people names? Grow up please!!!
              I can...

...not do so, cunt!

Comment

Comment

Sony

I think the ad was insentive and not well thought of.... which typifies coroperate marketing execs... I think they have done this for the reason of being controversal

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X