Chris Brown Drops Rap Mixtape, Boy In Detention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Brown Drops Rap Mixtape, Boy In Detention

Is there anything that Chris Brown doesn’t do? Earlier this morning the Virginia singer/dancer dropped Boy In Detention, his new rap mixtape. Breezy has been known to spit bars before; on his hit single “Look at Me Now,” the pop-singer traded verses with Busta Rhymes and Lil Wayne. Now on his new tape CB links with Wiz Khalifa, Swizz Beatz, Tyga and Big K.R.I.T. as well as producers like David Banner, J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League and 9th Wonder.

Chris wasn’t the only one who caught the rap bug, his buddy Justin Bieber also spits on the Banner-produced “Ladies Love Me.” The song repurposes Breezy’s “Ladies love me, I’m on my Cool J,” line from “Look at me Now” for its hook. After Chris drops his verse, the Biebs chimes in spitting, “I’m back baby I’m your doctor, I could be your vodka/ Swaggin’, I’m not braggin’ but I swear that I could rock ya.” Not the tightest bars, but the Beliebers eat up everything the 17-year old star does, so they’ll surely champion this effort even if hardcore rap fans don’t.

On the previously-released “Marvins Room” Chris juxtaposes Drake’s single, playing the part of the scorned boyfriend. Then the trend-setting crooner gets boastful with Tyga on “Snapbacks Back.” The two jack Meek Mill’s “Tupac Back,” instrumental and brag how they made the old school snap back hats rap’s new cap of choice. CB spits, “I brought the snapback back, put VA on the map /I’m a young n---a, heartthrob, girls cardiac.” He’s hardly humble.

“Real Hip-Hop #3” and “Real Hip-Hop #4” find the “Take You Down” singer atop 9th Wonder’s soulful production. Both tracks are a real proclamation considering the way 9th is so revered amongst rap purists. While we don’t exactly expect Brown to switch to hip-hop full-time, there is a sense that he is taking his raps seriously. But will, Chris Brown ever be accepted as alyricist? Only time will tell.

Source: MTV

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X