Syleena Johnson Addresses 'Watch The Throne' Lawsuit Rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syleena Johnson Addresses 'Watch The Throne' Lawsuit Rumors

Earlier this month an official court complaint was filed against Jay-Z and Kanye West over an uncleared sample of Syl Johnson’s 1976 hit “Different Strokes,” which was used on Watch The Throne’s bonus track “The Joy.” Last week, Syleena Johnson—daughter of the soul/blues singer and crooner on Kanye’s single “All Falls Down”—addressed the lawsuit on Sway In The Morning, frankly, saying, “It’d be cool if everybody would stop saying “your dad is suing Kanye,’ because I don’t really feel like that’s the case.”

Syleena confirmed that her father is moving forward with the lawsuit, but she cleared up rumors that the complaint was specifically targeting Kanye West or Jay-Z. “It’s not necessarily that Kanye did the record,” she began. “It’s to my understanding that Pete Rock did the beat, but of course it looks cooler to see ‘Oh, Syl Johnson is suing Kanye and Jay-Z.’ Jay-Z probably doesn’t even know anything about the beat!”

“I know there’s a piece of my father’s song “Different Strokes” in it, but I think that his issue is not necessarily with them [Kanye and Jay-Z], it’s with the label, because it’s their responsibility to get the clearance for the song,” she continued, matter-of-factly. “When I talk to my dad, he’s not like “I’m gonna get Kanye or I’m gonna get Jay-Z,” she said, clearly irritated at the rumor mill. “Real talk, if somebody samples Kanye or Jay-Z, or whoever else, I’m sure they would go after the person for their money too.”

Lawsuit or no lawsuit, Kanye and Jay-Z’s Watch The Throne tour is still scheduled to kick off on October 28 in Atlanta. On Monday (October 24), the duo launched a new site which allows fans to check out footage from every stop on their tour.

Source: MTV

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X