Brad Pitt Breaks His Silence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad Pitt Breaks His Silence

Pitt says the dissolution of his five-year union with Jennifer Aniston was amicable

For the first time since the couple separated in January, Brad Pitt is opening up about the end of his marriage to Jennifer Aniston.

He spoke to GQ in March, with the interview timed to run in the magazine's June issue, coinciding with the release of his movie Mr. and Mrs. Smith. In excerpts printed in USA Today and elsewhere, Pitt said the dissolution of their five-year union was amicable. "We've done it our way, and I love her for that," he said. "We've kept the love we have for each other." He was also reluctant to call the marriage a failure. "It's talked about like it failed. I guess because it wasn't flawless," he said. "Me, I embrace the messiness of life. I find it so beautiful, actually. The idea that marriage has to be for all time -- that I don't understand."

It's not clear if Pitt elaborated on the reasons behind the split, though he did say he believed he had just "a few years left" in acting, a career he would readily toss because "truthfully, I'm interested in other things. Like family." It's believed that Pitt's desire to start a family, coupled with Aniston's seeming reluctance to do so (putting babymaking plans aside in 2002 to extend Friends to a 10th year, and again with the blossoming of her post-Friends film career), was a primary cause of their split.

Pitt certainly looked fatherly in recent paparazzi photos of an African beach vacation with Smith costar Angelina Jolie and her son Maddox. Pitt and Jolie have been denying for months that they've been having an affair that broke up Pitt's marriage, though they haven't responded to the publication of the photos. Talking to GQ well before his trip to Africa, Pitt reportedly did not confirm or deny the rumored affair, but he did call the reports by tabloid gossips "nasty" and said, "Some things they said make me want to punch their lights out." Apparently, he's forgotten that the first rule of Fight Club is that you don't talk about Fight Club.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X