Kloppenburg Declares Victory In Wisconsin Supreme Court Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kloppenburg Declares Victory In Wisconsin Supreme Court Race

JoAnne Kloppenburg, the liberal-backed challenger in the Wisconsin Supreme Court race, has declared victory against incumbent conservative Justice David Prosser, whose campaign is gearing up to seek a recount of this very big upset.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Kloppenburg's statement:

"We owe Justice Prosser our gratitude for his more than 30 years of public service. Wisconsin voters have spoken and I am grateful for, and humbled by, their confidence and trust. I will be independent and impartial and I will decide cases based on the facts and the law. As I have traveled the State, people tell me they believe partisan politics do not belong in our Courts. I look forward to bringing new blood to the Supreme Court and focusing my energy on the important work Wisconsin residents elect Supreme Court justices to do."

With 100% of precincts reporting, the Associated Press gives Kloppenburg a lead of 204 votes out of nearly 1.5 million cast. A Kloppenburg win would shift the balance of the court, from 4-3 conservative to 4-3 liberal.

Given the political security that Wisconsin Justices usually enjoy, Prosser should have been re-elected easily as of just a few weeks ago. However, the political backlash against Republican Gov. Scott Walker's anti-public employee union legislation has galvanized liberal activists, who brought in a late but very energetic game for the election.

Source: TPMDC

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X