Rick Perry vetoes texting-while-driving legislation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Perry vetoes texting-while-driving legislation

Gov. Rick Perry vetoed legislation on Friday that would have banned texting while driving because he views it as "a government effort to micromanage the behavior of adults."

State law already prohibits drivers under age 18 from texting or using a cellphone while driving.

"I believe there is a distinction between the overreach of (the texting ban bill) and the government's legitimate role in establishing laws for teenage drivers who are more easily distracted and laws providing further protection to children in school zones," Perry said in his veto message.

Perry vetoed 24 bills — a large dropoff from the 83 bills he vetoed in 2001 in his first legislative session as governor.

Former House Speaker Tom Craddick, R-Midland, authored the texting-while-driving-ban bill - HB 242 - that Perry vetoed.

"I was sorry that it was vetoed, but I'm sure he had reasons," Craddick said.

Craddick said he "absolutely" plans to pass a texting-while-driving ban again when lawmakers meet in 2013.

"It's another tool for law enforcement to save lives of people on the highways of Texas and the streets of Texas," he said.

In his veto message, Perry agreed that "texting while driving is reckless and irresponsible." The governor said he prefers information and education campaigns to dissuade drivers of all ages from texting while driving.

Perry also allowed several bills to become law without his signature, including one that reinstates the ability of hobbyists to capture amphibians and reptiles on roads and rights-of-way. That activity was permissible for years until the Legislature banned it in 2007.

Perry said he favored restoration of the hobby but does not support the $10 special stamp for those involved in the practice "because a hunting license is sufficient."

Perry also signed the state budget, although it is incomplete because lawmakers in special session still are working on public school funding and fiscal measures to help the measure balance.

He vetoed spending items that were contingent on bills that did not pass or related to separate legislation that he vetoed. Vetoes included HB 1768, which would have encroached on the rights of private enterprise and property owners while fundamentally altering and expanding the role of county government. The governor also vetoed HB 2972, which would have limited voters' ability to vote on tax increases.

Other vetoes included a campaign finance issue that would have allowed any candidate or public official to correct an error without penalty within 14 days after the Texas Ethics Commission received a sworn complaint. The author of HB 1616 asked Perry to veto it after realizing the proposal would undermine the commission's enforcement authority.

House Bill 335 also became a veto casualty. The bill would require state agencies to submit a report relating to the implementation and requirements of federal health care reform laws.

"While Texas should make every effort to assess the impact of federal legislation on the state, I do not think the mandate required by House Bill 335 is necessary, as this information would be available upon request of state leadership," Perry said in his veto message. "As such, I will be working with state leaders to direct state agencies to provide information necessary to assess the impact of overreaching federal health care legislation on Texas."

Source: chron.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X