Case of Willie Nelson Pot Bust Isn’t Extinguished Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case of Willie Nelson Pot Bust Isn’t Extinguished Yet

The seemingly routine occurrence of Willie Nelson’s being found in possession of marijuana has stoked a small conflagration in a Texas county where a judge says she will not permit what she sees as the lenient punishment of this singer by an overly deferential prosecutor.

Judge Becky Dean-Walker of Hudspeth County said on Tuesday morning that she would not accept a mailed-in plea agreement for Mr. Nelson that stemmed from a 2010 drug arrest there and that she believed that the county attorney, Kit Bramblett, was giving the singer preferential treatment because he is famous.

“He’s supposed to file the charge he feels is appropriate,” Judge Dean-Walker said of Mr. Bramblett in a telephone interview. “Not what he feels he should do for his favorite singer. It is up to the judge to agree or not.”

Judge Dean-Walker added, “If you’re not going to do it for the guy in the corner, why do it for a celebrity?”

Mr. Nelson was arrested at a border stop in Sierra Blanca, Tex., on Nov. 26 when a Border Patrol agent there smelled marijuana on the musician’s tour bus. Though agents said they had found about six ounces of marijuana on the bus, Mr. Bramblett later said that weight included containers and paraphernalia, and that the total amount of the drug was about three ounces.
    The case drew headlines in March when Mr. Bramblett said Mr. Nelson could plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge if he paid a small fine and sang “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain” in court. Judge Dean-Walker quickly responded that she would not accept such an arrangement.

In June Mr. Bramblett said Mr. Nelson had pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of possession of drug paraphernalia and would pay a $500 fine and about $280 in court costs. But on Friday Reuters reported that the judge would not accept this deal, either.

Judge Dean-Walker said on Tuesday that Mr. Bramblett previously asked to have Mr. Nelson’s charge reduced to a Class C misdemeanor and that she had refused. She added that Mr. Bramblett “has made a habit of speaking with the press before anything has been resolved.”

The judge said she had accidentally signed off on paperwork approving the latest deal for Mr. Nelson, then crossed out her signature. “I did sign it before I realized,” she said. “I flipped it over and I said, ‘Oh, no.’ ”

Someone answering the phone at Mr. Bramblett’s office on Tuesday said he was in court and could not be immediately reached. A publicist for Mr. Nelson declined to comment.

Judge Dean-Walker said she was not concerned that the disagreement over Mr. Nelson’s plea was denying the singer his due process.

“At no point do I have to let him off,” the judge said. “If Willie Nelson gets off with nothing, I’m not going to be part of it.”

Source: nytimes.com

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X