Police Say Xbox Theft Spurred Florida Slayings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Say Xbox Theft Spurred Florida Slayings

Troy Victorino, 27, Robert Cannon, 18, Jerone Hunter, 18, and Michael Salas, 18, were arrested in connection with the killings.

An ex-convict who blamed a young woman for taking his video game system and clothes recruited three teenagers to stab and beat her and five others to death, investigators said Sunday.

The 22-year-old woman was singled out for an attack so vicious that even dental records were useless in trying to identify her. Some of the victims were attacked in their sleep, according to authorities.

The victims' bodies were found Friday in a blood-spattered home.

"We've never seen anything like this," Volusia County Sheriff Ben Johnson told reporters Friday afternoon. "There was an extreme level of violence."

All four suspects have been charged with first-degree murder and armed burglary, the Volusia County sheriff's department said.

Suspected ringleader Troy Victorino, 27, of Deltona, was ''very guarded'' during questioning, Johnson said. Three 18-year-olds were also arrested Saturday: Robert Cannon of Orange City and Jerone Hunter and Michael Salas, both of Deltona.

All four were jailed in Daytona Beach while awaiting bail hearings on Monday. Johnson wants prosecutors to seek the death penalty, saying, ''These families will never get over this.''

The attack was the culmination of events revolving around a nearby vacant home owned by one of the victim's grandparents and used by squatters as a party house. The four men and two women who were slain had reported being harassed by the alleged assailants.

Investigators struggling to find a motive for the slayings believe the victims were killed over the theft of some clothes and an Xbox game system owned by Victorino, the sheriff's office said.

All four suspects were armed with aluminum bats when Victorino kicked in the locked front door, according to arrest records. The group wore black clothes and scarves on their faces, grabbed knives inside and attacked victims in different rooms of the three-bedroom house, authorities said.

The victims, some of whom were sleeping, did not put up a fight or try to escape, Johnson said. All had been stabbed, but autopsies determined the cause of death was the beating injuries.

The 6-foot-5 suspect Victorino has spent eight of the last 11 years in prison and was arrested for a probation violation eight days before the killings.

Hunter, who was with Victorino at the time, agreed to accompany investigators for questioning. Police said he admitted his role in the slayings and identified the other two suspects.

All four suspects appeared before a judge Saturday without attorneys. They will have a chance to ask for court-appointed lawyers on Monday.

Hunter, a high school wrestler, moved out of his family's house in May but recently agreed to return home for his senior year.

''He never seemed to be that type ... that was violent,'' his father Dan Washington told The Associated Press. ''He was a good kid, he just got with the wrong crowd.''

The sheriff's office has identified five of the victims as Michelle Ann Nathan, 19; Anthony Vega, 34; Roberto ''Tito'' Gonzalez, 28, who recently moved from New York; Belanger's boyfriend Francisco Ayo Roman, 30; and Jonathan Gleason, 18.

The sixth victim was believed to be Erin Belanger, whose grandparents own the vacant home and spent the summer in Maine.

Joe Abshire, Belanger's brother-in-law, said she described heading to the vacant house to go swimming one day and finding about six people living there. The squatters were kicked out, but deputies were called to the grandparents' house six time in 10 days before the killings. The victims reported a tire-slashing at their home and a threat.

The squatters warned Belanger that ''they were going to come back there and beat her with a baseball bat when she was sleeping,'' Abshire, who is married to Erin's sister Jennifer, told The Sun of Lowell, Mass., for Sunday editions.

Victorino complained that his belongings were removed from the grandparents' house while he was in jail following a July 29 arrest for battery, Johnson said. He said Victorino found his things boxed up at the victims' house and took them after the killings.

The bodies were discovered in the rental home in the working-class community about 25 miles north of Orlando after one of Nathan's co-workers at a Burger King asked someone to visit the house because she had not arrived for work.

Source: AP

All this over some damn Xbox. What has our society come to?

Comment

Originally posted by Bishops
      All this over some damn Xbox. What has our society come to?
      Ask your generation...

My generation only killed people for some Air Jordans.

Comment

Shit..... My generation kills they're fucking parents because they didn't get a certain toy or some shit.
        My generation kills over gang activities or you get killed for turning down gangs.
        My generation kills people over some bad weed.
        My generation fucking stabs people over a high school football gang.(Including half the football team are gangmembers who start shit on the field. Which escalate on to where people live)

My generation is a bunch of some fucked up shit. Somethings gotta happen to change the world.

Comment

Shit..... My generation kills they're fucking parents because they didn't get a certain toy or some shit.
          True. You guys are some fucked up kids!

My generation kills over gang activities or you get killed for turning down gangs.
          Mine did, too.

My generation kills people over some bad weed.
          Mine did, too. Only - more cocaine than weed.

My generation fucking stabs people over a high school football gang.(Including half the football team are gangmembers who start shit on the field. Which escalate on to where people live)
          That's more of a "living in a shitty neighborhood" thing rather than a generational thing.

My generation is a bunch of some fucked up shit. Somethings gotta happen to change the world.
          I thought 9/11 would wake you dumbasses up, make you get off the couch, put down the munchies, and make something of yourselves. Nice to see I was wrong...

The media labeled me part of Generation X. You guys are part of Generation Nothing.

Comment

What ya mean by that. All it says is our generation is the top of all generations. Because the society has lost it. An there really is no exact cure for changing the new generation. But think of it this way. If the generation we got now is bad. Then think about how it will look when me & you are old and in wheelchairs........ Think about that.......

Comment

What ya mean by that. All it says is our generation is the top of all generations. Because the society has lost it. An there really is no exact cure for changing the new generation. But think of it this way. If the generation we got now is bad. Then think about how it will look when me & you are old and in wheelchairs........ Think about that.......
              Oh christ - I'd kill myself before then. When you motherfuckers stop having kids when you're in middle school and start opening a book that isnt' a video game manual once in awhile - get back to me.

Comment

You make it sound like all of us are like that. When it's the ones with the broken family, Gang members, spoiled kids who don't get what they want, or little sons-of-bitches who want their name to be known. It all comes down to them muthafuckas.

Comment

You make it sound like all of us are like that.
                  Why is it that 80% of black kids born in the 1990s were born to single parents and out of wedlock. Most of those kids were born to girls 17 and under.

Comment

Okay.... You gotta a point. To be honest most African American women by the age of 17 are out looking for their soulmate. Or some just want to be a pimp like some guys. Like this girl who braids my hair, she has a boyfriend but when she see's a guy she thinks is cute, she'll fuck em. But your correct on the 80% part. But that's mainly why. Like my friends uncle, his uncles has 1 kid. Because his girlfriend poke holes in his condoms while he was at work. All she wanted was money and for him to stay with her. But I guess every little crime has one thing in common with one another......MONEY. Everyone wants money, no matter how they get it. Everyone has they're own special way of trying to get money. That's why the majority of African American kids have single parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan McBain
                      The same reason why some white kids are born with single parents. Some people are just dumb and or not educated. Crap like this happens in poor environments usually.
                      True..... I mean not just the African Americans are the main source of the single parent actions. Its how people react to one another. Some people don't want to be with one person the rest of they're life so they move on. Lol, they might have to pay child support. But it's how people feel about the situation they're in.

Comment

Way to go McBain

Damn, now thats some back up support shit. McBain actually got a proven theory. Damn, I didn't even know that stuff. I guess the majority of us black people are in Basketball, football, and gangster movies. Damn, I really didn't know about all those deathrow inmates shit. Good support McBain, on supporting your African American culture.

Comment

Damn, now thats some back up support shit. McBain actually got a proven theory..
                          Which is? Which was?

Damn, I didn't even know that stuff. .
                          Because you're clueless like other kids your age when it comes to world affairs?

I guess the majority of us black people are in Basketball, football, and gangster movies. .
                          Don't forget jail.

Damn, I really didn't know about all those deathrow inmates shit..
                          Imagine that...

Good support McBain, on supporting your African American culture.
                          How did he support it? Support what, exactly?

Everyone knows blacks and latinos commit more violent crimes than non-hispanic caucasians. 1/3 of every black man in this country will be involved in the judicial system at some point of their lives.

Comment

I know. ShortIrishguy, you make it sound like killing is a part of every black persons life. Which is not in a white person's case either. Every person has a point in life which sets them off. Now why do you think that it seems like black people are born to be raised by a single parent, why do you think black people kill amongst eachother, why do you think most black people have to take up the jails.
                            Well, heres a question, what seriously known black people were a huge threat to the U.S.? I want you to name at least 5 black serial killers..... Then get back to me. While your thinking of that I'll think about 5 serial killers who were a threat to the U.S. that were white.
                            Last edited by Bishops; 08-09-2004, 9:14 AM.

Comment

Top serial killers: Who threatened the U.S.

Terry Nichols:Oklahoma city bombing
                              Edward Theodore aka Eddie Gein:Random killings. He made household stuff out of his victims skin and body.
                              Andrei Chikatilo aka Killer X: Killed victims then he ate they're body parts.
                              Albert Fish: Would eat little children.
                              John Wayne Gacy: Killed young men & boys. Dressed as a clown.

Oh, and if ya want more I got more.

An they were all white. Only one out of the 5 were mental in the head. The rest were normal. Except Albert Fish, he would stick needles in his groin for pleasure. An would set cottonballs with alcohol on fire & would stick them up his anus.
                              Last edited by Bishops; 08-09-2004, 9:46 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X