Jason Campbell: Trade came amid haze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Campbell: Trade came amid haze

Oakland Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell was recovering from surgery to his collarbone early this week as the wheels began to turn on the Carson Palmer trade, a deal that installed Campbell's possible replacement only six games into the second season of what he had considered a "fresh start" to his career.

Campbell, speaking to Bay Area radio station 95.7 FM The Game on Friday, said he was kept out of the loop as the trade was conceived and proposed and didn't discuss it with Raiders coach Hue Jackson before it was completed Tuesday.

"On Sunday night I had some pain pills for my shoulder, so I was pretty much sleeping all night Sunday," Campbell said. "And then Monday I had my surgery, so I was pretty much out of it then."

Campbell said he was watching TV a day later with his fiancée when the Raiders' news conference to announce the trade was aired, with Palmer sitting alongside Jackson.

"I was halfway still on pain medicine," Campbell said. "It was kind of a moment of silence. My fiancee looked at me to see if I was gonna say something. There's different things that go through your mind but you don't want to fill your mind with those thoughts."

Palmer had traveled to Oakland, and on Tuesday morning he underwent a physical before the Raiders officially acquired him that afternoon from the Cincinnati Bengals.

"I started receiving these text messages and everything about, you know, 'Hey what's going on?' and 'There's been a trade' and everything, and 'They've just given up a first round,' " Campbell said of the Bengals' compensation in the deal, which will come during the 2012 draft.

The Bengals also received a conditional second-rounder in 2013 that can become another first if Oakland makes it to the AFC title game in either of the next two years.

On Friday, Palmer was doubtful to start against the visiting Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday, two sources familiar with the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

"I'm 95 percent sure he is not going to play," one of the sources said of Palmer.

Campbell said he wants to stay positive and supportive of his new teammate and get healthy enough to play as soon as possible, though he was expected to miss the rest of the season.

"As a player in this league, you can't worry about the things that go on from a business side of it, the political side of it," Campbell said. "You know what you're worth, you know what you've done to help the franchise you've got here, put us in the position we're in now."

Behind Campbell and a solid ground attack spearheaded by running back Darren McFadden, the Raiders are off to their best start since the AFC championship-winning season of 2002, having improved to 4-2 with last week's 24-17 victory over the Cleveland Browns.

But Campbell went down late in the first half, landing hard on his shoulder after being hit as he scrambled.

"I just remember as I was going down, Fujita landed right on top of me and tackled me," Campbell said of Browns linebacker Scott Fujita. "The only thing I felt was something just, a bone just crack. And I knew it at the time, I knew it was my collarbone.

"So when the doctors came on the field, they was like, 'It is in your shoulder?' I said, 'More up toward my collarbone.' And that's when they put their hands there, and they saw that one part of the collarbone was up and the other part was down and it had broken in two, so I knew it right then before I even got to the X-ray. The only thing I was asking was, 'How long, how long, how long?' "

Campbell said he's able to move his arm slightly and his condition has already progressed more than he thought it would just days after the surgery.

"That's shocking and surprising, but like I said, I'll bounce back," Campbell said.

Campbell discussed the situation with Jackson on Friday, when the coach offered encouragement and reassurance, the quarterback said.

"Don't worry about any of the other things that's out there being said, you just worry about getting healthy," Jackson told Campbell, according to the quarterback. "He was like, 'I still believe in you. We brought you here, and you've done everything we've asked you to do, you know, helped turn the franchise around. You're winning, you're playing good.'

"And he was like, 'Don't get frustrated and get caught up into the things that are being said as far as a political standpoint and what you're hearing from a day-to-day basis. Just focus on getting back healthy and move forward.' "

Source: AP

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X