Sources: Ohio State talking to Meyer about job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources: Ohio State talking to Meyer about job

Ohio State has been in contact with Urban Meyer about becoming the school's coach, sources close to the ESPN analyst and the Buckeyes have told ESPN.com.

No contract is in place and no announcement likely would be made until after the regular season, but there is strong interest on both sides.

One potential issue is the impending NCAA infractions committee ruling on Ohio State, which has self-reported two sets of NCAA violations in the past year. Ohio State will meet with the infractions committee in late November or early December.

Meyer said Saturday in the broadcast booth at the Nebraska-Michgican game, where he is working for ESPN, that "there's no truth to that" when asked about reports that he has accepted the Buckeyes' coaching job.

"I know it's that time of year. I've not been offered any job, and I've certainly not accepted any job," he said.

Contacted earlier this week by The AP, Ohio State AD Gene Smith said no deal had been struck with Meyer. Other Ohio State athletic officials also have denied the reports.

The 47-year-old Meyer is an Ohio native. He started his coaching career as a graduate assistant coach for the Buckeyes in 1986.

He resigned as Florida's coach on Dec. 8, 2010, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family. Meyer won 104 games and two national championships over 10 years with the Gators, Utah and Bowling Green.

Ohio State promoted Luke Fickell to interim coach nearly six months ago when Jim Tressel resigned in the wake of a tattoo-parlor scandal.

Meyer hasn't said whether he's ready to return to coaching -- anywhere.

"I miss a lot of things about it, but I also am really enjoying another part, that's I get to watch my kids play sports," Meyer said in an AP interview earlier this month.

Source: AP

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X