Kobe Bryant Charged With Sexual Assault. Admits he committed Adultery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kobe Bryant Charged With Sexual Assault. Admits he committed Adultery

Kobe Bryant was charged Friday with sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman in a case bound to tarnish the career of one of the NBA's brightest young superstars.

Bryant denied the charge, fighting back tears at a news conference in Los Angeles and saying he was guilty only of adultery.

``I didn't force her to do anything against her will. I'm innocent,'' he said, with his wife, Vanessa, at his side. ``I sit here in front of you guys furious at myself, disgusted at myself for making a mistake of adultery.''

The 24-year-old Los Angeles Lakers
    guard faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation if convicted of the single felony count, Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said.

Hurlbert said Bryant forced the woman into ``submission'' through physical force but refused to disclose other details.

The woman worked the front desk at the exclusive spa where Bryant was staying while in the state for knee surgery. Hurlbert said she would not be made available for comment.

Bryant, free on $25,000 bail, must return to court in Eagle on Aug. 6 for a hearing.

Bryant's attorney, Pamela Mackey, said he will plead innocent.

Speaking at Bryant's news conference at the Lakers' arena, Mackey said the defense will be that the sexual encounter was ``between two consenting adults.''

Bryant needed several seconds to compose himself before speaking, and his voice quivered once he started. His wife, who had their first child in January, held his right hand.

``I love my wife with all my heart. She's my backbone,'' he said, turning to her.

Earlier, Vanessa Bryant released a statement, saying she stood by her husband. ``He is not a criminal,'' she said.

The case has riveted the sports world for nearly two weeks because it involves one of the NBA's most magnetic stars. Bryant has also used his clean image to land lucrative endorsement contracts.

Just last month, he signed a multimillion-dollar sneaker deal with Nike to go with contracts he already had with Sprite, McDonald's and Spalding.

The case also raises questions about Bryant's summer plans and whether he will be able to play with the U.S. Olympic qualifying team, which begins practice Aug. 10 in New York.

The Lakers start practice in October for the 2003-04 season.

``Naturally, we're disappointed with today's announcement,'' Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said. ``While there are many questions concerning this issue, we will wait for time and the judicial process to answer them.''

NBA commissioner David Stern said the league would have no comment until the case is settled.

Hurlbert, who took office in December, said he consulted prosecutors around the state and pored over physical evidence and testimony before making his decision.

``This did not come easily,'' he said.

Bryant is accused of assaulting the woman June 30 at the gated Lodge & Spa at Cordillera in nearby Edwards. Bryant, who was having surgery in Vail, arrived at the lodge that day.

Eagle County sheriff's deputies took Bryant to Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs for tests early July 2, later letting him leave in a taxi with his bodyguards.

The woman also underwent tests, and Hurlbert has said he needed information from the state crime lab before making his decision.

Bryant surrendered to authorities July 4 and was released an hour later after posting bond.

The arrest was announced July 6, prompting a firestorm of media attention on this small mountain town 100 miles west of Denver.

Reporters have swamped the cul-de-sac where the woman lives with her parents, but she has said nothing publicly. Her family has consulted an attorney, who referred all questions to the prosecutor.

The woman is well-known in Eagle as a former high school cheerleader and talented musician who auditioned for ``American Idol'' last year.

The news stunned basketball fans: Bryant, a five-time All-Star who has already won three titles with the Lakers, is by most accounts a quiet man who prefers dinner with a few friends to joining teammates for a night on the town.

``Oh, no,'' said Patricia Brewer, who heard the news at LA's Staples Center, where her daughter was to play in a basketball game later in the day. ``I love him so much and I'll still keep an open mind and hope that this is all a mistake.

``But you know, if it's true, then he's just another man masquerading as a family man, fooling us all, and that just makes your heart sink.''

Legal experts said the case could come down to witnesses.

``When you start with both people saying there was sex an enormous amount of the evidence doesn't matter anymore,'' said Larry Pozner, former president of National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. ``Did anyone hear anything unusual. Was her clothing torn? Was he bruised, was she bruised? These become critical.''

Loyola University law school professor Laurie Levenson said if the case goes to trial, a jury might feel a personal connection to Bryant, just as they did in the O.J. Simpson murder trial.

``As a celebrity he comes in with a super presumption of innocence,'' she said. ``Any defendant whom the public knows by his first name, their reaction is, 'No, not Kobe.' You will come in with jurors thinking, 'We don't want him to have done it.'''

Sports marketing experts said the case will be a permanent blow to Bryant's image and could cost him millions in lost endorsements.

``The image was of a perfect role model, a superstar athlete who didn't have a parking ticket, the all-American boy and now, well, that image is tarnished,'' said Bob Williams, chief executive of Burns Sports & Celebrities Inc. in Evanston, Ill.

``As of today and until the trial, his image is going to take a beating.''

Last fall, Williams' firm commissioned a poll that listed Bryant as the third-best product endorser in sports, behind Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan.

Bryant entered the NBA in 1996 at age 18, straight out of high school. He has drawn comparisons to the league's greatest players and helped Los Angeles win titles from 2000-02.

Along with his determination, Bryant has also shown class, something many fans feel are missing from other NBA stars. He wept when the Lakers were eliminated from the playoffs by San Antonio in May, and he wore his hospital ID bracelet in a game the day after his daughter was born.

He married Vanessa Laine in April 2001. The two met on the set of a music video where Laine was working, and got engaged while she was still in high school. Vanessa gave birth to their first child, Natalia Diamante Bryant, in January.

Some nice points there McBain. I just hope this doesn't turn into a race war. This girl is a nut case that's for sure. I heard she went up to Kobe's room to deliever something, then went back downstairs to clock out and then went back to his room. I mean she must of known they weren't gonna be playing checkers. She didn't get raped she's just looking for the spotlight and to get some money. I heard some where that she wanted to settle out of court for 1.9 million. Gold digging bitch.

Comment

One of these three things could of happened
      1. She went up there to have sex, and after she got what she wanted she felt stupid and wanted to get some money so she went to the cops.
      2. She went up there to have sex, and she wanted to use a condom(before or during the sex) but Kobe didn't and thats when the assualt happened.
      3. Kobe sexually assulated her. Which I don't believe one bit what so ever.

Comment

What Really Happened

I have a crucial point to make regarding Kobe's situation that I firmly will believe will help each individual who reads it to get an enlightened understanding of what I believe is going on in Kobe's mind right now, at the press conference, and in the hotel room.

First: Here is what I believe happened in the room. You must read the whole letter in order to understand why I believe this. I look forward to your feedback.

I believe that what happened in the room was that the two of them were attracted to each other and had consensual sex. There is no doubt in my mind that she knew the potential of what could happen if she went to that room. That was a mistake on her part. Kobe made the mistake of letting his lust get the best of him. From personal experience, I know what it like to let the lust get the best of you when you are married, love your wife and love GOD. The second that it is over, you feel a sense of misery, guilt, fear, disgust and torment that you never knew existed. I believe that the second after his climax, the torment set in and he wanted that girl to disappear from his sight. He wished that the whole thing never happened but he couldn't take it back. HE WANTED HER OUT OF THAT ROOM IMMEDIATELY.

He may have tried to force her out of the room. He acted out of character. She was probably devastated, hurt, heart broken, feeling like a used piece of meat, etc. They may have argued. They may have struggled. It may have gotten physical. The guest next door may have heard a struggle. It got ugly. I know because I have been there. How else do we explain her only being in the room for 30 minutes?

I know how it feels after you sin against GOD, especially the ultimate and carnal sin of adultery. You are disgusted with yourself. I don't believe that he forced that girl to have sex. I do believe that he destroyed her self esteem and image and made her feel like she
        was a whore. He may have raped her emotionally by not being able to handle the guilt that he felt and not treating her like a human being. I believe she probably felt as bad as a rape victim would feel and could not deal with it. She was devastated and it showed all over her face. Every person that saw her could see that she was distraught.

There is a fact of life that still exists in our society. The younger generation is much more comfortable with interracial relationships than the middle aged. There are not many white fathers out her, basketball fans included, that are comfortable with the daughters having sex with black men. That is a fact whether you want to deal with it or not. There are not many daughters prepared to go home and admit to their daddy's that the wanted to have sex with a black man. When confronted at the point of attack, they will succumb to the fear and pressure of their daddy and before they are willing to step up and say that this was their choice, they will say that they were forced. It is a fact and I have seen it personally on more than one occasion in my youth and adult life.

For you sports fans, there was a case last year at Syracuse, where Billy Edelin was accused of sexual assault by a young white girl and was kicked out of school. The case was eventually dropped when it was discovered that the two of them had been sleeping together on different occasions prior the alleged attack. It was when word got back to the father of the girl and she was questioned by daddy that she had a decision to make, do I tell my daddy the truth and face the disappointment, or do I say that he got me drunk and took advantage of me? You know the facts. Billy helped Syracuse win the national championship last year, but the damage to his reputation will never be healed.

If my scenario played out the way I believe it did, the young lady probably felt emotionally raped. When confronted with the question of what happened, I don't know many young girls that wouldn't have done the same thing. I do not fault, or judge her. I have just seen it happen too many times. Kobe could willingly line up 500 models in the city of LA that would fight it other for the opportunity to have sex with him. The idea that he would go to Colorado and force a 19 year old to have sex with him is almost absurd.

I believe that his guilt forced him to practically throw her out of his room and not even consider her feelings. She may be a sweet and emotional young girl who was caught up on a handsome superstar like so many young girls are. That doesn't make her a whore or a slut. It is no different than the 13 year old girl who absolutely adores a music star like Justin Timberlake or one of the members of the R & B group B2K. Do we think that as she got older and had a chance to meet her idol, she would not want to spend some time in his presence and even desire to have him? Of course she would.

I believe the guilt forced him to shave all of the hair off of his head and face because he was disgusted with his own face. Listen to the comments he made. He was mad at himself as much if not more than the girl. He was upset with himself for letting himself, his wife, but most importantly his GOD down. Until you get SAVED you will never understand.

Comment

^^^ What you're saying does make sense. After reading that she tried to kill herself makes me think she was pissed off at Kobe for using her. She probably felt even more lonely and wanted to get back at him. But don't get in twisted, this isn't the first time Kobe cheating on his wife. I'm pretty sure about that. But maybe he felt guilty cause he just had a kid, I dunno.

Comment

ty

thanks again man...your the man

Comment

well shit if u wont, i will...

Kate Faber
              xxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
              Eagle, CO
              (xxx) xxx-xxxx

note: sorry I had to edit your post -Ryan McBain

Comment

Gotti

You Are The Man......have You Called It Yet....iam Still Debating Wether I Should Call Or Not.

Comment

Kobe's Wife Pictures

Does Anyone Have Pictures Of Kobe's Wife.

Comment

Update

Scrutiny of Kobe Bryant's accuser intensified Thursday as authorities said she had been hospitalized as a "danger to herself'' four months before the alleged sexual assault.

University of Northern Colorado police chief Terry Urista said campus police received a call about 9PM MT on Feb. 25 regarding a woman in a dormitory room.

"An officer determined she was a danger to herself,'' he said. "It's classified as a mental health issue.''

The woman was transported by ambulance to North Colorado Medical Center of Greeley, Urista said. He refused to say whether it was a suicide attempt.

Lindsey McKinney, who lived with the woman this spring before the two had a falling out, said her friend tried to kill herself at school this winter and again in May in Eagle. She said the woman tried to overdose on sleeping pills.

Prosecutors and an attorney for Bryant's 19-year-old accuser have declined to discuss details of the case or the background of the woman. Records relating to the case were sealed.

Robert Pugsley, a criminal law professor at Southwestern University in Los Angeles, said if the two incidents turn out to be suicide attempts it could weaken the prosecution's case.

"The more these indications of instability emerge, the more difficult it might prove for the prosecutor to persuade the jury beyond a reasonable doubt that this young woman did not misinterpret the event,'' he said.

Another legal expert said the suicide attempt claims may never be heard at trial.

Christopher Mueller, a law professor at the University of Colorado in Boulder, said judges can exclude evidence that exposes a witness to undue embarrassment if it isn't essential to the charges.

"When there is no connection proven, that argument becomes pretty difficult,'' he said. "A court may very well bar it.''

Mueller also said the defense will think "long and hard'' about whether to label Bryant's accuser unstable and suicidal. "To attack a person who comes into a court as a victim is always a tricky thing,'' he said.

Bryant was charged with felony sexual assault after his accuser told authorities he attacked her at an Edwards resort June 30. Bryant said the sex was consensual.

Meanwhile, Eagle County Judge Fred Gannett issued an order limiting public comment about the case by attorneys, authorities and others involved in the case, including Bryant and any witnesses.

Citing concern about pretrial news coverage, the judge said it was his duty to try to guarantee a fair trial.

"Where the case is a notorious one, that burden on the court is heavy,'' Gannett wrote.

Before the judge's ruling, Eagle County Sheriff Joe Hoy dismissed speculation by at least one of the woman's friends that she is having second thoughts about going forward with the case.

"As far as I've heard, that is just plain rumor,'' Hoy said. "That is just off-board.''

Prosecutors met with the woman at length at her lawyer's office this week and interviewed other young women at the district attorney's office in Eagle. Friends say the woman is strong enough to withstand the media attention.

Krista Flannigan, a spokeswoman for District Attorney Mark Hurlbert, said the final decision about pursuing the case rests with prosecutors, who represent the public and not just the victim.

"It's not her complaint against him. It's the people of Colorado against him,'' she said.

Prosecutors have sometimes decided to continue cases, including sexual assault and domestic violence ones, without the cooperation of victims, she said.

Hoy, who was accused by defense attorneys of rushing the case against Hurlbert's wishes, also said it was up to the prosecutor whether to go to trial.

"It wouldn't be her choice,'' Hoy said.

The woman's name has been on the radio in at least 60 cities and posted on various Internet sites, complete with address, phone number and, in several cases, photographs of the wrong women.

Media focus on her is angering some who say the spotlight is making her a victim all over again. The release of her name is an invasion of her privacy, said Flannigan, who is also a victim advocate with experience in several high-profile cases.

"All assault victims' names are supposed to be protected,'' she said. "It's a safety and security issue, especially with higher profile cases. Once they are exposed, they really feel it's another violation. The victim is revictimized.''

Comment

The Media Makes Me Sick!!!!

^^^You know it makes me sick when the media acts like they care so much about this girl's privacy. If they cared so much, they wouldn't be camped outside of her house 24/7. The media makes me sick sometimes. They don't want to give out her name but they will give every single detail about her so it is easy as hell to figure out who the person is. FUCK THE MEDIA!!!!!

Comment

Thank You Walter

Wlater You Have Spoke True....but Kate To Me Is Very Unstable And I Think This Case Should Be Toss Before It Reaches Trial. What I Think Is That After Their Incounter That She Was So Hurt That Kobe Use Her As A One Night Stand That She Without Knowing Saw This As Rape. Who Knows What Can Happen When A Womens Is Scorn. You Can Multiply It By 100 If The Women Is Crazy. Who Knows What Happen In That Room Accept Kate And Kobe. Only God Can Know Beyond A Resonable Doubt.

Comment

Kobe should have been more careful!

I think this post has been excellent but one thing that you forgot was that she had previously accused someone of rape. They have stated that the public will not receive those documents (about her previous rape charge), Kobe's defense will so the case against Kobe is all but over before it began.

Think about this. Why the hell are they going on with the case even though they knew her credibality was very shaky. Would they have done this If little Katie was Black?

[IMG]http://www.crudhost.com/black/Jjerkin*****s/blackkate.jpg[/IMG]

LoL. That is the best that I could do. If you can do better then do so.
                          LoL
                          Last edited by Jjerkinniggas; 07-28-2003, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jjerkinniggas
                            I think this post has been excellent but one thing that you forgot was that she had previously accused someone of rape. They have stated that the public will not receive those documents (about her previous rape charge), Kobe's defense will so the case against Kobe is all but over before it began.

Think about this. Why the hell are they going on with the case even though they knew her credibality was very shaky. Would they have done this If little Katie was White?

[img]http://www.crudhost.com/black/Jjerkin*****s/blackkate.jpg[/img]

LoL. That is the best that I could do. If you can do better then do so.
                            LoL
                            The fact that Kate is white might have something to do with it, but I think it has more to do with the fact that the District Attorney wants to make a name for himself.

Comment

Judge Issues Gag Order in Bryant Case

After revelations that Kobe Bryant`s accuser was hospitalized last winter for mental health reasons, a judge issued a gag order on attorneys, witness and others involved in the sexual assault case, seeking to quell rumors and reports that could affect a trial.

University of Northern Colorado police chief Terry Urista said Thursday that campus police received a call about 9 p.m. on Feb. 25 regarding a woman in a dormitory room.

"An officer determined she was a danger to herself," he said. "It`s classified as a mental health issue."

The woman was transported by ambulance to North Colorado Medical Center of Greeley, Urista said. He refused to say provide further details.

Lindsey McKinney, who lived with the woman this spring before the two had a falling out, said her friend tried to kill herself at school this winter and again in May in Eagle by trying to overdose on sleeping pills.

Prosecutors and an attorney for Bryant`s 19-year-old accuser have declined to discuss details of the case or the background of the woman. Records relating to the case were sealed.

Robert Pugsley, a criminal law professor at Southwestern University in Los Angeles, said if the two incidents turn out to be suicide attempts, it could weaken the prosecution`s case.

"The more these indications of instability emerge, the more difficult it might prove for the prosecutor to persuade the jury beyond a reasonable doubt that this young woman did not misinterpret the event," he said.

Another legal expert said the suicide attempt claims may never be heard at trial.

Christopher Mueller, a law professor at the University of Colorado in Boulder, said judges can exclude evidence that exposes a witness to undue embarrassment if it isn`t essential to the charges.

"When there is no connection proven, that argument becomes pretty difficult," he said. "A court may very well bar it."

Mueller also said the defense will think "long and hard" about whether to label Bryant`s accuser unstable and suicidal. "To attack a person who comes into a court as a victim is always a tricky thing," he said.

Bryant was charged with felony sexual assault after his accuser told authorities he attacked her at an Edwards resort June 30. Bryant said the sex was consensual.

Meanwhile, Eagle County Judge Fred Gannett issued an order limiting public comment about the case by attorneys, authorities and others involved in the case, including Bryant and any witnesses.

Citing concern about pretrial news coverage, the judge said it was his duty to try to guarantee a fair trial. "Where the case is a notorious one, that burden on the court is heavy," Gannett wrote.

Before the judge`s ruling, Eagle County Sheriff Joe Hoy dismissed speculation by at least one of the woman`s friends that she is having second thoughts about going forward with the case.

"As far as I`ve heard, that is just plain rumor," Hoy said. "That is just off-board."

Prosecutors met with the woman at length at her lawyer`s office this week and interviewed other young women at the district attorney`s office in Eagle. Friends say the woman is strong enough to withstand the media attention.

Krista Flannigan, a spokeswoman for District Attorney Mark Hurlbert, said the final decision about pursuing the case rests with prosecutors, who represent the public and not just the victim.

"It`s not her complaint against him. It`s the people of Colorado against him," she said.

Prosecutors have sometimes decided to continue cases, including sexual assault and domestic violence ones, without the cooperation of victims, she said.

Hoy, who was accused by defense attorneys of rushing the case against Hurlbert`s wishes, also said it was up to the prosecutor whether to go to trial.

"It wouldn`t be her choice," Hoy said.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X