Rosenhaus: McGahee '100 Percent,' Can Practice Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosenhaus: McGahee '100 Percent,' Can Practice Now

Willis McGahee's agent insists the injured first-round draft pick is ready to begin practicing as soon as he signs a contract with the Buffalo Bills.

"He's 100 percent ready to go,'' McGahee's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said Monday. "I think they're underestimating him. I think he's going to play for sure. And we want to get him up there to have a chance to show it.''

Bills president Tom Donahoe disagreed. Saying that Rosenhaus is attempting to improve his position in contract talks, Donahoe added that the agent should "leave the medical opinions to the medical people.''

McGahee is the only draft pick the Bills have yet to sign, and has been working out at his Miami home while the team opened training camp in suburban Rochester last Thursday.

The timetable for McGahee's return has been in question since the former University of Miami star tore three ligaments in his left knee during the Hurricanes' loss to Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl in January.

The Bills have been extremely cautious with McGahee's rehabilitation ever since selecting him 23rd overall in April. Along with traveling to Miami to monitor his workouts, the Bills kept McGahee on the sideline -- limiting him to catching passes in a stationary position -- during the team's spring minicamp sessions.

And even when McGahee does sign, the Bills are expected to place him on the physically unable to perform list, which would keep him inactive until Week 10 of the season at the earliest.

Rosenhaus said the Bills should wait to see what McGahee is capable of doing before making any decisions for this season.

"We think if we were given the opportunity, he can make a positive impression,'' Rosenhaus said. "I have a lot of confidence in Willis, and I think he's further along than anyone's giving him credit for.''

Donahoe said McGahee has done a great job during his rehab, but added there's still a long way to go.

"Open a medical textbook on an ACL (ligament) repair, and it's a minimum nine months. We're at six months,'' Donahoe said.

Donahoe added that the worst thing that could happen is rushing McGahee back too soon.

"Our position is we're concerned about this guy's career,'' Donahoe said. "And he will not be on the field until our doctors say he's 100 percent.''

Both sides agree they have not yet found a common ground in negotiations.

"I just know that we have to get a contract that's fair to Willis and fair to the Bills. And when we come up with that, he'll be here,'' Donahoe said.

"We're still plugging away,'' Rosenhaus said. "But we're not particularly closer to an agreement.''

Before being hurt, McGahee was projected to be one of the top three picks in the draft after he set school records with 1,753 yards rushing and 28 touchdowns last season.

Wasn't McGahee suppose to be out for the entire season? No way in the world he is 100% Its too bad though, this guy was the man in college.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X