Rodman's Comeback Quest Continues With Nuggets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodman's Comeback Quest Continues With Nuggets

Former NBA rebounding champion Dennis Rodman's attempt at a comeback at age 43 took another step when he participated in an informal workout with the Denver Nuggets on Thursday.

"Talk to other players and they'll say that wasn't a 43-year old guy that was running today," Rodman told the Rocky Mountain News. "That wasn't a 43-year-old guy. That was a freak out there."

Freaky or not, it was hard to tell whether he has a future with the Nuggets.

"I really have no comment," Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said. "There's not really anything to say in Dennis' situation."

Asked why Rodman was present at the scrimmage, which lasted most of the morning at the Pepsi Center, Vandeweghe said, "He came here to see how he plays against NBA players."

Rodman worked out briefly with the team last week, but had to leave early because he was bothered by an ingrown toenail.

A week later, he returned, and at least one of the Nuggets, point guard Andre Miller, was impressed.

"He looked pretty good," Miller said. "He's in shape. It was my first time meeting him. I watched some of the things he does, thought maybe I could pick something up from him."

Rodman also thought he was good. Training camp starts next week, and Vandeweghe wouldn't say whether Rodman will have a spot. Rodman said he'll be waiting by the phone.

"I'm looking forward to a phone call. I want to come here," he said. "I want to come here and play and show people that I can bring some life back into the NBA and some fun.

"Denver needs somebody like me in the city."

Rodman was the four-time rebounding champion and two-time defensive player of the year during a 14-year career mostly with the Pistons, Spurs and Bulls. He last played in 2000.

He stayed in the news during his career and after retirement thanks to, among other things, his bad temper, his love of partying, his multicolored hair, his eclectic love life -- he briefly dated Madonna and was married for five months to Carmen Electra -- and his multiple run-ins with the law.

But Rodman said he gave up alcohol about a year ago and started thinking about a comeback.

"I think anybody 25 or 30 who hasn't played ball for three or four months, their timing is going to be a little off," Rodman said. "But I think my speed and my quickness was there. As far as passing and just setting screens, that just clicked in."

Source: AP

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X