Mosley Beats De La Hoya in Close, Unanimous Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosley Beats De La Hoya in Close, Unanimous Decision

Sugar Shane Mosley was even sweeter the second time around.

Mosley came on in the late rounds again Saturday night to beat Oscar De La Hoya for the second time in three years, winning a close but unanimous decision to take the WBC and WBA 154-pound titles.

In a fight almost as close as the first one, Mosley was the busier and faster fighter, beating De La Hoya to the punch and staying away from the left hook De La Hoya used to knock out his last two opponents.

De La Hoya was leading on two scorecards and even on a third midway through the fight, but Mosley won the last five rounds on two cards and the last four on a third. The decision left De La Hoya bitterly disappointed and talking about a possible protest.

"It happened in the (Felix) Trinidad fight and it happened here,'' De La Hoya said. "I thought I won the fight. I didn't even think it was close.''

All three judges did, though, scoring it 115-113 for Mosley, who won a split decision the first time the two met in June 2000. The Associated Press had Mosley winning 116-113.

"I thought I won by one or two rounds,'' Mosley said. "He gave me a lot of movement. I knew I hurt him. He never hurt me.''

The fight meant far more to De La Hoya than a few gaudy belts. He vowed before the bout to retire if he lost again to Mosley.

"I love the sport. I love boxing. I love fighting like a warrior,'' he said. "I'm not sure what will happen.''

Just like the first fight, Mosley was fresher and faster in the later rounds, while De La Hoya looked weary and tried to win rounds by fighting in flurries in the final seconds.

The fight before a sellout crowd of 16,268 at the MGM Grand hotel was billed as redemption for De La Hoya, who lost to Mosley when both were young amateurs and again when they met as pros.

But it turned more into vindication for Mosley, whose career hit the skids when he lost twice to Vernon Forrest and who hadn't won a fight in more than two years.

"I think it could warrant a third fight whenever he wants to do it,'' Mosley said.

De La Hoya wasn't so willing.

"No, he beat me twice,'' he said. "That's it.''

Mosley was the aggressor throughout, though he pressed the action only in spurts. By the late rounds, though, he was putting on more pressure, and the fighters went toe-to-toe in a hotly paced final round before the bell rang and they hugged like two warriors who had given their all.

De La Hoya was guaranteed $17 million, though he agreed to pay Mosley $500,000 of that if he lost. By winning, Mosley pocketed $5 million.

The money, though, wasn't De La Hoya's biggest motivation. He desperately wanted to avenge one of only two defeats in a remarkable career in which he has won titles in five weight classes and earned some $150 million in the ring.

By the 12th round, that desperation seemed to show as De La Hoya came out and the two met in the center of the ring and threw punches almost nonstop for the first minute.

"We were never concerned in the corner,'' De La Hoya's trainer, Floyd Mayweather, said. "We never even thought of losing. It never crossed our minds.''

There were questions about Mosley's power at 154 pounds, a weight he had gone only two full rounds at before. But he seemed to land the bigger punches and had a big ninth round where he rocked De La Hoya on several occasions.

"I felt such overwhelming power throughout the fight,'' Mosley said.

Punch stats showed De La Hoya landed 221 punches to 127 for Mosley, though most of Mosley's punches were power punches while De La Hoya's were jabs.

The partisan De La Hoya crowd packed the hotel arena looking for the fight of the year. De La Hoya was a 2-1 favorite, and he said he had found a way to negate Mosley's speed in the rematch.

The first few rounds were fought cautiously, but the tempo of the fight seemed to pick up after De La Hoya (39-3, 29 knockouts) was cut next to his right eye during a clash of heads early in the fourth round. By the end of the fifth round, the fighters were going at it toe-to-toe, much to the pleasure of the crowd.

"You let him steal that round,'' Mosley's father, Jack, told his son after the fifth round.

"No I didn't,'' Mosley replied.

De La Hoya was bleeding from the fourth round on from a cut next to his right eye caused by the head butt. But it never seemed to affect his vision in a fight that had no knockdowns.

Midway through the fight, Jack Mosley was urging his son to press the action so De La Hoya couldn't win a close decision.

It proved to be wise fatherly advice.

"My father was trying to convey to me since we're in Las Vegas and it's Oscar's town we had to pour it on in the last rounds,'' Mosley said.

Mosley (39-2, 35 knockouts) did just that, pressing the action and dictating the tempo.

Mosley had been unhappy about his purse, threatening not to sign a contract until De La Hoya agreed to give him the extra $500,000 if he won. At the end of the fight he was that much richer, but money wasn't everything.

"I would have been heartbroken to lose in the ring after losing the negotiations outside the ring,'' Mosley said.

Source: The AP

Bull Shit!!!!!

The Judges, and the associated press are high. Did they watch the same fight that everyone else saw? Mosley lost that fight man. What a bunch of bull shit. If I was Oscar I would protest that decision.

Comment

I heard no boos or "BS" chants in the audience.

All three judges, the Associated Press and the majority of boxing writers at ringside AND NOW the record books all say Mosley beat Oscar twice. Marinate in it.

Comment

Ha Ha Ha

Hey DeLaHOMO,

You deserve everything you got. First of all, you've been picking your spots. If you were a real man, you would have given the rematch to sugar shane right after he kicked your ass. what did you do? you waited until sugar was down and then you gave him the rematch and ripped off with the purse. YOU DESERVED IT!!! Now you know how does it feel to get RIPPED off. By the way, when you "lost" to Sweet PEA, I didn't see you arguing about those decisions even though you lost. Now Let's see, If you're going to be a man and retire... Sugar, I give you some props, you made me a $100 dollar richer. I always believed in you even though I was scared you will get ripped off. Don't 4GET, to be a boxer and give a fight to my boy MAYORGA....I want to see you be like Vargas. Sugar, You're a REAL man, even though you lost to Forrest, you never pulled some bulshit like DeLAHOMO, you took it like a man. One more thing, DLH, don't you feel so stupid that it was your promotion and you got RIPPED off, HAH HAH HAH, that's funny.....

SUGAR SHANE
        WBA/WBC JR MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMP

Comment

De La Hoya Wants to Probe Decision in Mosley Fight

Concern was growing in Shane Mosley's corner as the rounds went on and it became obvious his fight with Oscar De La Hoya would be going to the judge's scorecards.

Jack Mosley wanted his son to do something spectacular -- and fast.

"My father was trying to convey to me since we're in Las Vegas and it's Oscar's town we had to pour it on in the last rounds,'' Mosley said.

It turned out the wrong corner was worried. In a city where De La Hoya scored his biggest wins, he stood in shocked amazement as the judges handed him his most disappointing defeat.

De La Hoya thought he should be celebrating. Instead, he now plans to start investigating.

"I just feel in my heart the decision should have gone to me,'' De La Hoya said. "On Monday I will put a full investigation into what happened. I'm fortunate I have the resources to put the best lawyers on it.''

Just what De La Hoya wants to have investigated is unclear. All three judges scored the fight 115-113 for Mosley, and all three gave Mosley the last four rounds. The Associated Press had Mosley ahead 116-113.

Unless De La Hoya's lawyers can find some evidence of malfeasance, the Golden Boy will have to live with the fact he now has lost three times in his career -- with two of those losses to Mosley.

"These are honest men and they scored the fight the way they did. To me, there is no controversy,'' said Marc Ratner, director of the Nevada Athletic Commission. "It's a close fight that could have gone either way. This is the way the judges saw it. If it went the other way, Mosley's camp would have been the ones protesting.''

The decision enraged the normally mild-mannered De La Hoya. He stood at the post-fight news conference, a bandage over his right eye, and vowed to find out why he wasn't given the nod.

He might look at tapes of the ninth round, when Mosley battered him around the ring, or the final round, where Mosley gained the upper hand in some wild flurries, for some direction.

"You're a sore loser,'' someone yelled at De La Hoya.

"I'm not doing this because I'm a sore loser,'' he replied. "I'm doing this for the sport of boxing.''

For De La Hoya, the decision was a bitter end to a fight that meant far more to him than his $17 million purse and the two gaudy plastic 154-pound title belts he held from the WBA and the WBC.

The fight was billed as redemption for De La Hoya, who lost a split decision to Mosley three years ago and desperately wanted to win the rematch to establish his place in boxing history.

In both fights, De La Hoya won early rounds and Mosley came on in the later rounds to win.

"Oscar's a Hall of Fame fighter,'' Mosley said. "I'm just the one person he can't get by.''

Indeed, De La Hoya was frustrated at times again by Mosley's speed. And it seemed as if Mosley was also the stronger fighter in a tactical bout that was often fought with the two men circling each other in the middle of the ring.

"I was in control physically,'' Mosley said. "I think I was the stronger fighter.''

De La Hoya was cut next to his right eye by a head butt in the fourth round and appeared to be rocked on several occasions by right hands from Mosley. But he also landed some good left hooks to Mosley's jaw and got the better of Mosley in some occasional heavy exchanges.

While Jack Mosley was telling his son to pick up the pace and not let the judges get involved, De La Hoya's corner was happy with the way the fight was going.

"We were never concerned in the corner,'' said De La Hoya's trainer, Floyd Mayweather. "We never even thought of losing. It never crossed our minds.''

De La Hoya came to the news conference after the fight armed with punch statistics that showed him landing 221 punches to 127 for Mosley. But those statistics are compiled by two people pushing buttons when they think a punch lands -- a process nearly as subjective as ringside judging.

Even the pro-De La Hoya crowd that packed the MGM Grand hotel arena didn't seem all that disappointed, though there were scattered boos. That might be because their fighter spent much of the fight going backward while Mosley was the aggressor.

De La Hoya's promoter, Bob Arum, though, was so angered he said he would stop promoting boxing. Of course, Arum has made similar vows after his fighters lost other fights.

"This is such an outrage that I'm never, ever, going to be a party to this again,'' Arum said.

De La Hoya wasn't so ready to quit himself, despite promising before the fight to retire if he lost.

"I love boxing. I love fighting,'' he said. "We'll see what happens with my future.''

Source: sportsline

Comment

Update

Shane Mosley took time off from celebrating his win over Oscar De La Hoya on Monday to offer some advice about dealing with a loss.

After that, he offered De La Hoya another fight.

"If he wants to do it again, it's all right with me,'' Mosley said. "As long as the money is right, that is.''

Refusing to let De La Hoya's talk of an investigation into the judging of the fight tarnish his win, Mosley said De La Hoya needs to accept his loss and move on.

"I think he's a little emotional right now,'' Mosley said. "He needs to take some time to cool off and understand what's done is done.''

De La Hoya appeared to be doing just that, two days after losing his 154-pound titles to Mosley in a close but unanimous decision.

A spokeswoman for De La Hoya said he was looking at his options, but that no one in the De La Hoya camp wanted to talk about them.

Promoter Bob Arum wasn't as bashful, though, claiming he had evidence of a conspiracy involving a Nevada Athletic Commission member to get the three judges to vote against his fighter.

Arum declined to name the commission member, but said he has seen written evidence that backs up his claim.

"This is serious stuff,'' Arum said. "There's got to be a full and open investigation. The future of boxing is at stake.''

De La Hoya said after his loss that he planned to hire a lawyer Monday to investigate the judging. He lost 115-113 on the three ringside scorecards, with all three judges giving Mosley the final four rounds.

"I'm not doing this because I'm a sore loser,'' De La Hoya said. "I'm doing this for the sport of boxing.''

Marc Ratner, executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commission, said both Arum and Mosley's promoter, Gary Shaw, approved the judges several weeks before the fight.

"I have no idea what he's saying,'' Ratner said. "I know three of the best judges in the world judged that fight. I wasn't going to go with no-names for the fight, and both camps had to approve them.''

The judges -- Anek Hongtongkam from Thailand, Stanley Christodoulou of South Africa and Duane Ford of Las Vegas -- all have long records as boxing officials, and have judged some of the sport's biggest bouts.

Mosley said Monday he was worried in the minutes after the fight that he would lose the decision because Arum was the main fight promoter and most of the capacity crowd at the MGM Grand hotel were De La Hoya fans.

Mosley said that's why he had a look of surprise on his face when the decision was announced.

"I knew I won the fight but it's another thing when your hand is raised,'' he said. "I thought I was a lot stronger this time than the first time. When I hit him, I knew I hurt him.''

Mosley said punch statistics compiled at ringside were also misleading because it was impossible to tell how many punches landed during sometimes fierce flurries or who was throwing them. The punch stats are compiled by a company contracted by HBO to try and count them.

"There were a lot of punches being thrown and he missed a lot of shots,'' Mosley said. "One time I saw a three- or four-punch flurry go over my head and the fans all went crazy. But he didn't hit me.''

Shaw said Mosley should be allowed to enjoy his second win over De La Hoya and not have it tarnished because of the controversy.

"He's such a good guy and takes the high road. Why try to diminish it?'' Shaw asked. "I hope the Nevada commission takes steps against Oscar and Arum for making those comments about the judges.''

Comment

Officials to Arum: Formally Tell Us Misconduct

Nevada boxing officials want promoter Bob Arum to back up his allegations about the scoring in the Oscar De La Hoya-Shane Mosley fight.

Commission legal counsel Keith Kizer said Tuesday that Arum will be sent a letter inviting him to appear before the commission and formally lay out his charges of misconduct in the scoring of the fight which Mosley won by unanimous decision last Saturday night.

"He has made some serious allegations. We want to hear from our licensees, and if they have a problem we want to know," Kizer said.

De La Hoya, meanwhile, issued a statement saying the controversy over the decision was not his fault.

"This controversy was not caused by my post-fight comments but rather by the fact that millions of people watching the fight from around the world were of a different opinion than the three judges in attendance," De La Hoya said.

De La Hoya distanced himself a bit from Arum by saying he will make no negative comments about the Nevada Athletic Commission. But he also called for the public to be told how judges are selected and trained, and how scoring is done.

"Last Saturday was not that bad if it was the beginning of the ultimate fight, the fight for a better future of boxing," De La Hoya said.

Attorneys for Mosley also weighed in on the dispute, saying they want Arum before the commission -- but for different reasons.

A letter sent to the commission Tuesday by attorney Judd Burstein asks for a disciplinary hearing against Arum for making an "irresponsible attack upon the integrity of the commission" in comments made following the fight.

"If Messrs. Arum and De La Hoya have proof of misconduct, they should come forward with it," Burstein said. "But if, as we believe to be the case, they are merely engaged in a disingenuous effort to avoid admitting that Mr. De La Hoya lost fair and square, there should be consequences."

Nevada regulations allow for disciplinary actions against anyone holding a license who "reflects discredit to unarmed combat."

Arum claimed Monday that there was misconduct by a commission member in helping pick the judges who worked the 154-pound title fight.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X