Michael Vick Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Vick Update

Michael Vick's return to the field is still at least a month away.

The target date for the Atlanta Falcons' quarterback to make his regular-season debut is Oct. 13 at St. Louis. But coach Dan Reeves said it's more realistic that Vick would play the week after when the Falcons host New Orleans.

"I know he couldn't put a shoe on to take the team picture on Saturday, so if you can't put your shoe on, I don't know what that means with how long that's going to be before he can play,'' Reeves said.

"It doesn't sound good, but if it's been four weeks and they're saying six weeks then he's going to have to make a miraculous recovery in the next few weeks.''

Vick broke a bone in his lower right leg during a preseason game Aug. 16. After watching the season-opening win at Dallas from the coaches' box, Vick stood on crutches on the Falcons' sideline during their 33-31 loss Sunday to Washington.

Team orthopedist Andrew Bishop had more X-rays taken on Vick's injured leg on Friday and then gave the 23-year-old quarterback a good report. On Aug. 17, Bishop projected it would take six-to-eight weeks for the break to heal. He said Vick would then need extra time to get into football shape.

Bishop removed Vick's fiberglass cast on Sept. 3 and placed him in a removable, walking cast.

In other injury news, outside linebacker Will Overstreet had his left arm in a sling Monday because of a staph infection that developed from a cut in his elbow. The second-year player believes he was injured in a preseason game at Miami on Aug. 22.

Overstreet had to leave the season-opening win at Dallas after he sprained his surgically repaired left shoulder. He played behind Sam Rogers in the base defense Sunday.

Source: The AP

Updating previous reports, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick was on the sidelines without crutches on Sunday, Sept. 21, for the first time since breaking his leg. Vick was still wearing a walking boot.

Comment

If he's walking now then he might be ready by the 5th...

Comment

Vick's rehab

New Injury Update on the Status of Michael Vick

As you might imagine there was a little extra drama to Sunday's treatments. Vick was treated for 2 hours, and a plan for his recovery was formulated. The trainers were pleased to find that there was minimal swelling and Vick was able to walk with only a slight limp. The examination confirmed that this is the same type injury that Vick suffered to his left ankle last year.

His rehab plan is quite comprehensive. First, the ankle must be treated. Vick's rehab will consist of cold whirlpool, pulsed ultrasound, interferential stimulation (whatever the hell that means), and cardiovascular activities to maintain his endurance level. These treatments will be done at least twice daily and last for at least two hours. During practice, Vick will remain in a DonJoy walking boot with crutches and will have scheduled periods of cardiovascular activities.

As for playing, Vick will be fitted with a custom molded AFO (ankle-foot-orthosis) called a Fortis. This device was developed by South Carolina's head trainer Rod Walters and is specifically designed to control ankle motions for athletes. Just obtaining this special brace is difficult. At 1:30 Sunday a cast mold of Vick's right foot was made and flown on U.S. Air from Roanoke to Charlotte, NC, eventually arriving in Columbia, SC at 7:10 p.m. The manufacturer received the mold Monday morning, and a brace should be available by Wednesday.

Speculation is that Vick's status is a game day decision....

Source: tailgatefever.com

Comment

To Me Donavan Is The Better Quaterback Then Vick

Comment

So Modern,

You Are A Doctor Know To Huh....

Comment

I think McNabb is a better QB as well. Vick is still young. Vick has the potential to be one of the best period. Way better then McNabb.

And no I'm not a doctor, just wishful thinking. Vick is trying to come back on the 5th. That's why I said that.

Comment

Ok Doc...but Mcnabb Has A Better Head On His Shoulders Then Vick...and Mcnabb Is Still A Young Quaterback. The Only Reason The Eagles Are Strugling Is Not Bc Of Him But Like Of Weapons Around Him. Well After Last Years Injury The Eagles Have Put A Clamp On His Running And I Bet Vick Will Be Put In The Same Position. He Will Also See The Fate Of Donovan By Being Made To Drop Back And Only Run If Nothing Else Is Available.

Comment

Why do you think he has a better head on his shoulders? I don't get that. But I do agree that McNabb has nobody to help him. Both Vick and McNabb are great but I just think Vick has a better upside.

Comment

Both Have Great Upsides...donovan More Then Vic
                    First, He Is Bigger And Can Take More Of A Pouning For Their Style Of Play. Second, Donovan See The Field A Little Better Then Vick Especially When Both Are Being Chased. Third, Its Just The Aura That He Portrays As A Leader Both On And Off The Field. People Are Willing To Follow Him Into Battle Without A Word. Finally, Donavan Has A Great Pocket Presence, However Iam Not Saying Vick Doesn't But Just Mcnabb's Pocket Presence Is Better.

Comment

Right now, but I think Vick will surpase McNabb. But thats just my opinion

Comment

yeah vick has a canon foran arm and speed to die for but that all he has. However, mcnabb has more of an all around game then vick and is the better quaterback by far..emphasis on quaterback.

Lets forget about the future and think in the now this season because the future is never a sure thing.

what make a great quaterback? lets look: a great quaterback is a great field general, has a great arm, has a great pocket presence, and most of all is a great 2 min quaterback. i have seen mcnabb bring his team back to win a game on many occassions, and that to me is a great quaterback.

mcnabb is by far my MVQ (most valuable quaterback). he is mvp of his team and so is vick but my money is on mcnabb. put it another way...the old cliche, If you wanted a quaterback to drive you down the field with 2 min left on the clock, who do you want in your backfield?....i want would of like montana and elway in their prime but for right now their is no body better then mcnabb.
                        Last edited by phoenix1820; 09-26-2003, 6:10 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X