Wide receiver Dixon released from Rutgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide receiver Dixon released from Rutgers

Rutgers University football coach Greg Schiano released incoming recruit Reggie Dixon from his scholarship Monday after reports surfaced that the Plainfield High School senior had been convicted of an adolescent sex crime.

ESPN reported Monday that Dixon had been found guilty in juvenile court last August of two counts of aggravated sexual assault.

According to Joe Schad on Monday's SportsCenter, "ESPN optained copies of court records and those records show that Dixon twice assaulted his step-sister, a non-blood relative. . . . This incident took place for the first time when he was 12 years old and she was nine. The second count occured when she was 14 and he was 17."

The report stated Dixon was 18 when he went to trial last June, but was tried as a juvenile. Dixon, according to court records obtained by ESPN, "had to register under Megan's Law, undergo psychological evaluation (and) pay fines and penalties."

Under Megan's Law, Dixon would have been forced to register as a convicted sex offender once he enrolled at Rutgers this August. A source familiar with the case told Gannett New Jersey newspapers on Monday that Dixon was deemed a tier-1 offender, the lowest risk of the three-tier system.

Dixon, a nationally-rated recruit by several scouting services, was the most recent recruit added to Rutgers' 2007 incoming class, signing a National Letter of Intent on March 31. Rutgers, however, rescinded its scholarship offer after Schiano said new details about the case emerged.

"Based on the most recent review," Schiano said, reading a statement by phone Monday, "we feel that it is in the best interest of all parties involved for Rutgers to release Reggie Dixon from his National Letter of Intent."

Schiano declined further comment.

A call placed to Dixon's Plainfield home was answered by his father, Craig Venson, who refused to allow his son to speak.

"All I can tell you is it's in the hands of the Union County prosecutor and the case is under appeal," Dixon's father said.

Union County Prosecutor Ted Romankow, citing juvenile court privacy laws, declined comment.

Dixon, also a track standout, is one of the fastest recruits in the state, capturing the NJSIAA 55-meters championship the past two winters. On the gridiron, the 5-foot-9, 170-pounder scored 14 touchdowns while playing running back, wide receiver, cornerback and special teams the past two seasons.

Schiano said in a statement the day Dixon signed: "We are very pleased that Reggie decided that Rutgers is where he wants to play college football and go to school. It is a unique situation that he is able to graduate and we are happy to have him as a member of the team starting this summer."

Dixon told Gannett New Jersey on March 31 that he chose Rutgers because "it's close to home."

" "I didn't want to be so far away," he added. "My family is here, and it's easy for them to come to the games. I like the staff. I felt like I'm a family member there. Every time I went there they welcomed me and it felt really good."

Dixon, who chose Rutgers over Boston College, is now free to sign with another school.

Source: Home News Tribune Online

If you can't nail a hot 9 year old who can you nail? What a bunch of crap!!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X